PDA

View Full Version : diatoms in anew tank

scottrader
03/03/2002, 09:52 PM
I have been cycling my 55 gal tank for a little over a month now the ammonia has settled down and the nitrs. are coming down too. I have about 60 pounds of live rock and a 4 to 6 inch sand bed. I have been having a problem with brown, rusty looking diatoms. A couple of people have suggested that it is normal and that a protein skimmer will help. I'm putting the skimmer in on Monday, but I was wondering if I could accelerate the removal of the diatoms by getting a clean up crew. Is it too early to get some snails or abolone or something? Should I just be patient? The outbreak of algea seems to be pretty bad. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Scott

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 09:58 PM
Algae blooms are all a part of cycling a new system. A skimmer wouldn't hurt, but it still might be too early for a clean up crew.
I think the most important thing you can add to your system right now is patience.
I'm sorry, I am fully aware of how hard it is to wait, but you'll be better off in the long run. You could add some Bio active live sand to speed the process some, then, once cycled further, a clean up crew would be in order.

PSYCHO
03/03/2002, 10:07 PM
What kind of light do you have & have you done any water changes?

I would do is go to lfs & scrape up some coralline to seed the tank, and be sure to add Seachum, even if you don't have corals yet. You'll have green and brown algae forever if you don't introduce some pink (coralline) algae. Scrape the diatoms off the tank walls if any and let the critters get at the rocks.

scottrader
03/03/2002, 10:17 PM
Although I hated to hear it I kind of figured I had to wait. As far as the lfs goes if anyone can suggest a good one in the North Jersey area I'm all ears. I have done 2 10% water changes. I have some pretty junky lights on it that I'm trying to upgrade right now and will do so before I start adding any livestock.. Unfortunately my bank account is making this a somewhat slow process. What are ou going to do

goldscarf
03/03/2002, 11:27 PM
Hi Scottrader,

If it helps at this point, upgrading your lights will not do a thing. In fact if you want to help stop the algea bloom, turn out your lights. Lights don't help in this process.

A skimmer will help you a lot in the initial stages of curing LR, but doesn't do a whole bunch towards the end of your cycle. Since you have been cycling now for about a month, I wouldn't worry about "needing" a skimmer until you start putting fish in there.

Also, though they may have tough shells, inverts can be very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, so wait until they are both down to zero and then add a clean up crew. It is really fun to watch a clean up crew take a nasty brown tank to a sparkling clean one in just a couple days. Any the little guys will really appreciate being put into a hospitable, algea filled tank.

Finally, as hard as it is, just be patient. I think part of the reason everything is so expensive in this hobby is that it forces us to take the time to investigate whether or not something is very necessary and then it takes a while to save up the money to purchase it, hence stopping us from making drastic constant changes... IMHO.

Good Luck!

goldscarf
03/03/2002, 11:27 PM
Hi Scottrader,

If it helps at this point, upgrading your lights will not do a thing. In fact if you want to help stop the algae bloom, turn out your lights. Lights don't help in this process.

A skimmer will help you a lot in the initial stages of curing LR, but doesn't do a whole bunch towards the end of your cycle. Since you have been cycling now for about a month, I wouldn't worry about "needing" a skimmer until you start putting fish in there.

Also, though they may have tough shells, inverts can be very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, so wait until they are both down to zero and then add a clean up crew. It is really fun to watch a clean up crew take a nasty brown tank to a sparkling clean one in just a couple days. Any the little guys will really appreciate being put into a hospitable, algae filled tank.

Finally, as hard as it is, just be patient. I think part of the reason everything is so expensive in this hobby is that it forces us to take the time to investigate whether or not something is very necessary and then it takes a while to save up the money to purchase it, hence stopping us from making drastic constant changes... IMHO.

Good Luck!

DgenR8
03/04/2002, 06:29 AM
Hi Scott,
Goldscarf makes some good points! I agree with everything he(she?) said about the snails and crabs. They're still inverts, although small, and are delicate.
Lights on your tank now can only offer one benefit and it's a long shot. If any coral (I'm thinking mushrooms, pollyps) has hitched into your system on the live rock, lighting will give it a fighting chance to live through the cycle. Again, that's a long shot.
Remember, when you do purchase your clean up crew, many of them will eat algae exclusively. If you don't have the algae to support them, they need supplimental feeding or they will starve to death. DEAD SNAILS STINK!!! Don't let that happen.

scottrader
03/04/2002, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the input. What specifically would you recommend for a clean up crew? It seems like there is an endless list of options.

goldscarf
03/04/2002, 11:40 AM
Hello DgenR8, I am a guy... LOL, I suppose with a name like GoldScarf...

Anyway, to answer the question about what type of inverts, the answers are endless. Most of which are simply personal opinion. However since you asked, I will give you mine.

I really like Mexican Turbo Snails, they are wonderful creatures that are endless eating machings. I was not super impressed with Astrea snails and since they cannot right themselves when they fall on their back, I have lost a couple. I haven't had personal experience with any others.

With crabs, I dislike blue legged hermits. I have had them eat waaaaay too many snails for my comfort level. I do like the Scarletts though, however 1 per gallon is a bit much for me. Emerald crabs are extremely cool! I love those guys. Sallylight foots gett to big for a tank IMHO. I love linkia, but make sure that you take some time learning how to acclimate a creature and how to keep parameters in check before you attempt one of those creatures.

Like I said before most of this is personal opinion. You may want to start a new thread about that subject if you don't get very many responses to this one.

Good Luck!

scottrader
03/04/2002, 12:55 PM
Since I have no point of reference to judge from one informed opinion is all I need for now. Thanks for the help.

scott

goldscarf
03/04/2002, 01:24 PM
Anytime! :D

scottrader
03/05/2002, 09:10 PM
Goldscarf,

Just to let you know, when I got home from workyesterday the diatoms were beginning to disappear and by this evening (Tues) they are in serious retreat. Patience is a virtue I suppose...