PDA

View Full Version : what filtration for new 90

beach
03/03/2002, 09:24 PM
have a 55 with prt skmr 2 pwrhds and carbon fltrtn .setting up new 90 with dsb of 5" and 90 # of lr.have a cabinet and interested in a high quality setup.looking for longevity and ease of operation . use to emptying prt skm daily so a little daily maint. i don't mind.except for the tank everything i get is from the advertisers on reef central.thanks jbmc.

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 09:34 PM
Many Reefers now don't use conventional filtration. Lots of us are running with only a skimmer and Live Rock/Sand for filtration.
Most people here, myself included will tell you that canister filters are too dificult to keep maintained and they will become a canister of nitrate in short order without maintenance nearly daily. Same thing goes for pretty much ANY mechanical filter. Pads and sponges are not the Reefer's friend.
Forget about wet/drys and under gravel, Bio Wheels too.
IMO, you couldn't do better than Live rock, 1-1.5 Lbs per gal., DSB, min. 4" and the largest refugium you have space/funds for filled with a second DSB and Macro Algae.

beach
03/04/2002, 07:36 AM
thanks for the thread larry.your advice is appreciated.i am setting up a 90 in the next few days and a kid at the lfs recommends a refugium made of tupperware and dsb.this is all fine but i don't quite have a handle on how the plumbing works.i assume an overflow box much like my skmmr box collects surface water from the tank by siphon .the water flows to the refugium.what keeps the water from overflowing?is there a float that shuts the water flo down if the tank gets to full?when the water is in the refug. i assume a pump in the refug. raises the water back to the tank.where does the prt skm fit in?i have a 55 and a 10 iso tank with hang on prt skm that appear to function ok.with a refug.is the prt skm before or after the refug. or if an aquar. is used for the refug. can the skmmr. hangon that tank?my system has to be safe from overflo. but i have enough farm in me that it seems like an easy problem to prevent.last thing how long does the water need to be in the refug. and how much pump is needed for a 90 tank(gph)?i must be getting old ,i relish the advice of exerts and the more i know the more i realise i have to learn.thanks beach

wickerj
03/04/2002, 10:23 AM
Take a look at Nagel's web site http://www.gcstudios.com/nagelsreef/Makeover/

He has a very cost effective refugium setup that seems to work great.

Other than the refugium go with live rock, a DSB and a skimmer if you want.

Jeff