PDA

View Full Version : Help with anemone, what happened?

grandema56
03/03/2002, 06:49 PM
Our tank is a 65 gal reef, been up for about four months. We have the usual snails about 10, 4 corals ,6 hermit crabs, a goby ,1 cleaner shrimp. We bought an BTA anemone and a med percula clownfish on Friday. We watched the LFS remove it from the glass so it was not injured. It has eaten and has good color and responds to its surroundings. We gently placed it in our tank and it moved itself to an overhang with its foot in the shade the rest of it is in the light. We feed it 3 krill last night. Today it seemed fine but just a few minutes ago I looked at it and it was all sucked up into a ball. Is this a sign of distress? Our water tests are at good levels and we just did our weekly water chage today. What is wrong or is this normal?

Rock Anemone
03/03/2002, 08:54 PM
How long was the tank light on what time of day? My BTA has done this many times, IMO there is nothing to worry about.. Don't feed it to much if it is doing really food only 1-2 a month is all it will need many feed theirs 1 time a week, IMO that is way to much. It probably sucke dup into a little ball becuase there was a big breeze of current or a fish just went really fast right by it, who knows... But mine does this and it is perfectly normal.

Hope everything goes well...

150reef
03/03/2002, 08:56 PM
Hey grand, you should have nothing to worry about.....
I bought a bubble tip about 2 years ago, it has since split
into 3 bubble tips!!! They all every once and a while will
do the same thing you just described to me.....They bunch up
in a ball...They usually open up within an hour or two....
They are very hardy, you should be ok just leave it alone!!!!
You don't need to feed it that much...I feed mine once every two weeks, a piece of krill about the size of a nickle....
Also the percula clowns like the carpet anemones better....
A maroon clown would be better for the bubble tip....
Hope this helps....

Anthony

grandema56
03/03/2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys!!

You were both right it has started to open up again! I guess I worry too much. Your also right about the clown. He's starting to cosy up to my frogspawn coral. I hope it does not eat him.. I''ll keep in mind the amount of food I give the BTA. Thanks again

grand

grandema56
03/03/2002, 09:22 PM
Also Rock

We usually keep the lights on for about 10 hours. We have about 5 watts per gallon.

Grand

Fishy Something
03/03/2002, 09:31 PM
Grandema56

I strongly suggest feeding 2 - 3 times per week. As someone once pointed out to me these animals have a very efficient mechanism for catching prey, i.e., their tentacles loaded with stinging cells (nematocysts). These are there for a functional reason, not as a decoration. The existance & efficiency of such a mechanism in itself suggests that these animals need regular feeding.

Curling up or deflating as the others have pointed out is not a concern, but keep an eye on it to ensure it spend more time open than closed, as this may indicate a problem.

HTH

James

grandema56
03/03/2002, 10:32 PM
thanks James

I will watch it to make sure it is functioning properly. It is helpful to get more opinions on the feeding subject. It really gobbled down the krill but they were pretty small .

Grand

ajx22
03/03/2002, 10:55 PM
Be sure you have good strainers on ALL powerheads...

Anemones LOVE to find dem powerheads and don't look that good all sucked up into one!