PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Advice

clickrs
10/06/2005, 12:05 PM
Okay, I need opinions, since I already have a crappy skimmer, I want one that will work.
I can get either a Aqua C or Turbofloator for about the same cost, which one is best (both r hang ons) and the least amount of teaking?
Any help is appreciated.

alannathanson
10/06/2005, 12:25 PM
I've heard good things about the AquaC Remora. You should get the pre skimmer box add-on to maximize production by skimming the protein rich surface layer of water.

Stixbaraca
10/06/2005, 01:28 PM
I have been using the AquaC Remora for over 2 years now and I swear by it! I am without a sump, and have to have a HOB skimmer...I wouldn't try anything else! There isn't anything you can tweak except raising or lowering the collection cup depending on the consistency you like your skimmate. As Alan says...get the preskimmer box. The surface layer is the most important to skim because the nutrients always rise to the top of the water column...plus the preskimmer box forces the exiting water through a sponge which catches all bubbles exiting the skimmer. If you go with the Remora opt for the Maxi-Jet 1200 instead of the RIO 800.
AquaC regularly has seconds of the Remora that they sell for $100!!! They are structurally sound but usually have a scratch or 2 on them, and they are fully covered under warranty!!! Their email is on their website www.proteinskimmer.com

clickrs
10/06/2005, 01:36 PM
thanx for that info. maybe I'll finally get things right in the aquarium, I can't believe my skimmer isn't skimming. I must have knocked something out of whack when I cleaned it.

crazyfingersmike
10/06/2005, 02:56 PM
Also check out the Coralife Super Skimmer

Ben
10/06/2005, 03:44 PM
I have used the whole line of Aqua-C skimmers and IME their spray injection skimmers are not as good as a nice classic venturi. I would check out the TF, but that is JMO. Of course I have gone through just about all the skimmers, two ER,TF, Aqua-C's, Berlins, bullet becket skimmers....

I like beckets the best, needle wheel venturis, then the rest...

JMO

spankey
10/06/2005, 04:57 PM
My coralife super skimmer pulls a cup full of gunk out of my tank every 4 days.. It kicks ARSSSS... I even heard of guys trading thier Aqua C's for the Coralife Super Skimmers.. Crazy as it sounds.. But hey I paid $80 for mine vs the Aqua C that I was looking at for $200.. But its all in taste.. As Stix said, he wouldn't change a thing.. Just as I wouldn't on my tank.. Just personal preference...

Good luck...

Spank.

Jay4Robin
10/06/2005, 08:48 PM
LIFE REEF RULES!!!!

Birdlady
10/06/2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Jay4Robin
LIFE REEF RULES!!!!

But do they make a skimmer anyone can actually afford?!!!! $400+ for a HO is pretty steep!

Cindy, what skimmer do you currently have? Most can be made to run better, perhaps there is a tweak or so that you are missing? If it was running, and now is not, maybe something needs to be cleaned?

stan
10/07/2005, 04:26 AM
years back when they didnt even have cars we use to build our skimmers and they really kicked. i figured id try a turboflotor 1000 but maybe it didnt have the right pump so i didnt like it. the skimmer i use now is a dual beckett myreef skimmer powered with 2 mag 36's but you dont need anything like that. either do i . for the size of your system i d go with the other skimmer you where saying. alot of people use them and ive heard good things. you just have to set any skimmer right and they should work. if your skimmer is not pulling anything out sometimes its because theres nothing to pull out. all my water goes through 50 micron filter bags before it hits my skimmer compartment and im pretty much in favor of the filter bags . i get alot more waste out of my system. most times skimmers are a status quo type thing. over rated. to impress some new reefers that come over ill kick my skimmer in gear and it actually shakes and sucks air like crazy and they be like wooooo look at that thing but i never really use it like that.
stan

gpodio
10/07/2005, 12:00 PM
I too would go with the Aqua C or the Coralife super. They both seem to work very well right out of the box. I'm using a CPR backpack personally however it needed modification to work better than an Aqua C. You can usually find Aqua C Remoras used for around $100. Haven't tried the coralife super but based on some of the threads I've seen it seems to be a great performer.

Giancarlo

Raki04
10/07/2005, 06:05 PM
TURBO SKIMMER QUEEN TS-2000 Item number: 7717244496

Seller of this item? Sign in for your status Watch this item in My eBay | Email to a friend

I got one of these off Ebay from a guy out in Calif. I love it.... handles my 125 with no problem (and I tend to over feed)

Jay4Robin
10/07/2005, 06:12 PM
I had the turbo floater. It was a nightmare sometimes it would work sometimes it would not. I learned not to take a chance on saving money in this hobby anymore. I spend the extra $$ and get what I pay for. LIFE REEF is true quality hand made and no head aches.Why put it down cause its expensive?

Birdlady
10/07/2005, 07:00 PM
No, I wasn't putting it down, just noting that alot of us cannot afford that much :)

Does it work 4 times as well as a $100 skimmer? or twice as well as my AquaC 120? I am just comparing value/price:D

I have no doubt they are great skimmers! I don't feel that you need to spend that kind of money to achieve a good result. While I disagree on purchasing equipment based solely on price, I feel it is a factor and there were very good recommendations for less money and I would not consider the recommendations given here to be 'skimping'. Just my opinion of course!

Ben
10/07/2005, 07:17 PM
Seems like alot of people like the coralife superskimmers, although I have never owned one I am always skeptical about a company that didnt really have nay quality products in the past. What have you guys that love the superskimmer used in tha past to compair it to?

Lifereef are very well made, and last forever. If the purchase is a one time deal then it isnt so expensive.

If you havent compaired skimmers on your system how do you really know which one is best. I used to have a homemade downdraft venturi and it worked well, but I also thought my Lee wooden airstone skimmer was good untill I used a becket. I do think on a smaller tank needlewheel skimmers are best but anything larger I would do a becket for sure.

stan
10/07/2005, 07:33 PM
there are alot of skimmers out there and most skimmers are well made , hand made whatever . i think alot of it has to do with your system. size, population, how the system is feed. i wouldnt go out and spend even 300 for a skimmer thats going on a say 55 gal tank. thats crazy. but when your dealing with systems that a re say 120 plus with big sumps youll need a skimmer with more horsepower. basiclly id build my own skimmer to what ever size reef i'd have. we all know there no skimmer out there that couldnt be copied.
anyway try to go with a skimmer that right for the size reef your keeping. jmo
stan

Sonia Taro
10/07/2005, 07:57 PM
My votes are for:

1) Bubble King
2) EuroReef
3) LifeReef
4) PM Bullet 3

And before I get attacked I should say that my experience is only with large skimmers for med to large systems. Post in the general or equipment forums and do a search regarding all skimmers that are suggested. IMO a efficient skimmer is only second to regular water changes.

clickrs
10/09/2005, 12:59 AM
I have a SeaClone and no matter what I do it just isn't pulling anything out anymore (it did in the beginning, not a lot but more then what I'm getting now). Anyway, I only have a 46 gal. and money is limited so the very expensive ones are out of the question, esp. for my size tank.
I don't run any other kind of media so that isn't why it's not working anymore. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it, just isn't doing it. I have the air value that I am constantly adjusting with no luck.
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll let you know what I wind up with.

Marshall
10/09/2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Sonia Taro
My votes are for:

1) Bubble King

You forgot deltec which also makes excellent skimmers. Also a Bubble king skimmer costs more than my first car. It wasn't a nice car but their cheapest skimmer is $1,799 @ their US distributor before taxes/shipping. :eek1:

GettingFiesty
10/09/2005, 06:40 AM
Are you or hubby DIY handy? If so, you can also check out the DIY EAP Skimmer here on RC. It did really well for me until I could afford the ASM Skimmer that I have now.

Jay4Robin
10/09/2005, 08:13 AM
I had the same problem with my aqua medics. It would make all the motions and act like it would pull foam but it would never happen. I must have invested almost 400$ between the new pump needle wheels and then they upgraded me to the new design then that lasted 6 months. Last week I was the TFZ and his also stoped. When he purchsed his almost 8 months algo I warned him they do that with no warning. When keeping SPS its worth spending the extra$ for a top of the line skimmer. I would travel and come home 3 days later and the skimmer would be doing almost nothing. The vent line would have salt in it or something. My life reef has given me piece of mind and has allowed me to keep a great looking system! SO if anyone wants a aqua medic skimmer I have the turbo floater 1000 and the new design. I gave away the new design pump for the 1000 model. I have 2 pumps for the newer one and a few wheels. If anyone wants to take a tour of all of my short cuts and mistakes they are in my basement. SORRY BUT MY CHILLER DIED AGAIN # 3 and I was upgraded to a larger one for about 250$ oh yes aqua medic thank god the summer is over

Sonia Taro
10/09/2005, 02:27 PM
I have no exp. with the Deltec line of skimmers so I could not include them in my list.