PDA

View Full Version : bio wheel filter

bigfruits
03/03/2002, 05:30 PM
i am going to set up a 50 gal coral tank soon. i wont have a sump and i was wondering if biowheel filter was a good idea to get the water exposed to air. i was thinking of buying one that doesnt have carbon, just a foam filter for large debris. i would also have an adequate hang on skimmer on the tank. is this a good idea? or will the biowheel filter eventually become nitrate factorys?

these are the two filters i was looking at

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3619

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3631

Thank you.

slimytadpole
03/03/2002, 06:14 PM
yes and no. I like the biowheel filters because I think they provide excellent air/water interaction. That said, If you have a protien skimmer, it will become a moot point. The skimmer will provide all the oxygnenation you'll need, and then some.
Also, in general, filtering out large particles isn't really necessary. They should settle and be handled by the sand/rock dwelling creatures. Carbon is often a great way to remove biological contaminates from water, while using filter floss generally not considered a good thing, as it can become a nitrate factory. Alot of prople who have these filters will remove the floss and just use the filter as an area for dosing carbon, and running carbon.
Also, if you do get one get the non-bio-wheel versions if you can, or remove the wheel itself. Again, it's a nitrate factory.
Really, though I don't think its necessary, and you should probably not bother with it unless you find you really need a place to run carbon.

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 06:52 PM
Slap,
I believe that Bio Wheels have their place, just not in a salt water environment.
Will they breed nitrate problems? Probably, but I don't know that for sure. My main reason for not using them anymore (yes, I had them on my tank when I first started it) is that the "Bio" part of the wheel is a harmless paper like material with plastic end covers. I have no complaints about that, my complaint is that the wheel turns on a thin metal shaft that rusts (mine did) when exposed to the corrosive elements of salt water.
I still have one running on my fresh water system. It's been there for 5 years or more with no sign of rust. I guess they just aren't designed for salt water use. At least they weren't when I bought mine.