PDA

View Full Version : Tek T5 hood question

tha_reids
10/06/2005, 12:53 AM
I want to purchase a tek hood (maybe tonight so hurry up:)and have a question.
Does anyone run a Tek 6 lamp fixture with only 4 lamps?
Anyone tried? It is electronic ballasts so it should'nt matter as long as total linear footage requirements are met.
Reason asked, I am about to buy a Tek 48" 4 lamp tonight or tomorrow. I want a 4 lamp and am thinking about future electrical bill and won't care much for housing light hungry corals or clams.
I just thought it would be nice to have the 6 lamp fixture and could add the other 2 lamps in the future instead of buying a new fixture.

Any help on this one?
TIA

crash519
10/06/2005, 08:39 AM
A 6 bulb unit will burn the outside 2 on one switch and the inside 4 on another switch. There are three ballast in the enclosure though. If you wanted the dusk to dawn effect you could use the outside and the two inside that are on the same ballast. I don't know how the triad ballast works, but some flourescent ballast will not fire the bulbs if one is missing of burns out.

tha_reids
10/06/2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks Crash,
I know other electronic ballasts would still fire lamps if one gases out, burns up, or breaks. Since you mentioned 3 ballast I would just disconnect one. Run one on each switch.
At the same time I want to just buy the 4 lamp model and just limit myself to what I put in the tank.

I hate making decisions when it comes to aquarium products:)