PDA

View Full Version : Maxi Jet = micro bubbles

Ozzy
03/03/2002, 02:13 PM
hello RC
I have 2 maxi jet 1200 in my tank,I've had them in now for about a month and I'm getting lots of micro bubbles from them
any idea?????I have the plugs in place but still getting bubbles,I do have them hanging from the clips,do I just need to go to the cups and sink them a little deeper into the tank ? I hate cups :rolleyes: ,ya can never seem to get the things to stick for to long,or will the bubbles go away in time ?I do'nt see that but....
thanks -ozzy

domhen
03/03/2002, 03:44 PM
Having the same problem with my maxijet 1200. 1 month old.
Mine is totally submerged. If i tap on the top of the powerhead large bubbles come out of the hole where the power goes into.
I think it is a maufacturing problem. The place where i got it is sending me a new one. Reef splendor.
Dom

Ozzy
03/03/2002, 05:38 PM
thats odd,I mean to make micro bubbles it needs air,it's under water !!!!!!!!,let me know ow your new 1200 works out for ya cause this is driving me nuts
thanks-ozzy

domhen
03/03/2002, 05:47 PM
put yours underwater and then tap on the top and see if you get bubbles coming out of the powercord entrance.

Ozzy
03/03/2002, 05:59 PM
not any out of that spot but I did get some from the hole in the center of the top,and some big bubbles at that

Dimi-reef
03/03/2002, 07:20 PM
Same problems with my maxi jets, Tons of air when i either flush with water or turn them on. Currently I have them unpluged and will buy another sea swirl so I do not have to use them.

Duce
03/03/2002, 07:54 PM
Don't know would this help...but once you have the MJ in water turn it up side down, side way, etc. wait a few sec each time and let the air trapped in the unit out.....

domhen
03/03/2002, 09:36 PM
will give it a shot
TY

Canadian Man
03/04/2002, 12:09 AM
well i thing everyone experiences this problem sometime. the answer in came up with is; if you put the Powerhead (PH) in water for the first time flip it upside down to get all the air out of casing and body. as the PH sits in your tank you man notice bubbles being produced by the sand bed as well as algae in the tank. if the bubbles come anywhere near the intake they get sucked up and some spit out and some stored till the build up or the ph is turned off and on and i releases a spew of bubbles.
This is the answer i have come up with as i have had this problem in my 90 for some time now and it happens more often in my 10g nano cause of the smaller space there is less time for the bubbles in the tank to be released so the ph can suck up even more.
Cheers
Sorry for such a long post:)

domhen
03/04/2002, 09:20 AM
TY

Ozzy
03/04/2002, 11:55 AM
Hey Domhen,did it work for ya????????

BiggusDiscus
03/06/2002, 12:22 PM
It's not just with the 1200 series. I have a 900 and 400 in mine and the 400 shoot bubbles every now and then. I do think it has something to do with the bubbles comming off the rocks and sand. Is your tank cycling? Mine is and I'm sure that's what it is for me.

My damsel likes to swim in front of the PH but freaks out when the bubbles hit him. Very funny.:D

domhen
03/06/2002, 12:42 PM
Ozzy nothing has worked thus far. Waiting for lfs to send me replacement. The sent me a mag drive by mistake.

CallATT
03/06/2002, 07:08 PM
well i do know that you can take the cover off of the maxi jets.. the top cover whre the power cord goes into and the 2 little holes in the center are. one way to get rid of your bubbles is just to remove the cover while under water.. then put it back on. it just snaps off and snaps back into place.. it works for me.. *shrug* :D

domhen
03/06/2002, 07:33 PM
I'll give it a try. I assume this doesnt expose the electric componets. ZAPPPPPP!

Ozzy
03/06/2002, 07:57 PM
I've done everything I could think of on mine,nothing will seem to stop the bubbles,good luck on your new ph
ozzy

reef_ayuh
03/06/2002, 09:25 PM
I find I get many more bubbles , mostly in spurts, from my powerheads (Hagen) when they are dirty. I cleaned them this weekend, no more spurts of bubbles. Maybe some algae is growing in there, but there isn't much light. I did have some aquaclear foam blocks on the input to protect the fish, maybe it was growing there. BTW, I found a HOB powerfilter pickup tube "grill" (the end piece) fits perfect in my powerhead cones. I am slowly removing all mechanical filtration from my system.

RA

Ozzy
03/06/2002, 09:45 PM
my PH are brand new......well almost brand new,I have had the bubble problem from day one......
I have NO mechanical filtration on my tank ....just a skimmer:D

reef_ayuh
03/06/2002, 11:00 PM
Well, I am stumped. Just rambling here - If the powerhead is completed submerged, how can air get inside? Maybe there is some crazy cavitation happening with the new impeller. Maybe it goes away as the impellor blades "wear". Let's go sci-fi now: Maybe there is an elecrtrical current in the powerhead seperating the hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis ( is this the word I want?) which is what the bubbles are. Don't light a match!!

I know this doesn't help much, but the cavitation is a possiblity.

Good luck, RA

Ozzy
03/07/2002, 09:59 PM
RA
I'll tell ya it's got me?????????
I sunk my ph a little deeper and still have those @$%* bubbles
ozzy

Avi
03/07/2002, 10:32 PM
my MJ 1200's spurt out a blast of micro bubbles every so often too, wonder why...

Toutouche
03/08/2002, 12:14 PM
There was a poll a little while ago on the reef section about this. It seems that everybody has this with the maxi-jets, including me. Even completely submerged they will all spit out bubbles every now and then. All model sizes.