PDA

View Full Version : dsb

meg
03/03/2002, 01:31 PM
Hi! First post.I have a 90 gallon reef which I will be putting into a 120 reef ready soon.Now I am using a plenum with 4" aragonite special reef sand over it.I have been going crazy trying to decide whether to go with dsb on the bottom or use the plenum again.I have been following the debates on rc about this and came to the conclusion that a dsb would be better but I don't want to spend all the $$$ for new sand, as well as losing the critters and bacteria of the old sand. Also I will be switching everything over into the new tank and will want the least amount of stress for the tank and it's critters. So today I read about putting sand over the top of existing cc. :D How about over special reef sand? I have a sump, skimmer, plenum with 4" of larger size sand and change filter pads for filtration. Nitrates with the plenum stay under 10.I have had saltwater for about 5 years. Thanks for any advise you can give me!

Avi
03/03/2002, 01:43 PM
Hey, if the plenum style is working for you with no probs. dont change it!

if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Nagel
03/04/2002, 12:36 AM
I would suggest going with a DSB. Do you have access to southdown sand? If so, I would put a few bags on the bottom, then add your existing live sand on top of that. Crushed coral isn't a good idea, it will work its way up in the sandbed, and is not the optimal size for DSB critters to live in.

Oh, and

[welcome]