PDA

View Full Version : Ready to stock

calvin-x
03/03/2002, 11:07 AM
Well, I am finally ready to begin stocking my newly cycled 100 Gal FOWLR tank. For background, my setup includes 90 lbs of LR, 100 lbs of Southdown, 15 lbs Aragonite LS and 10 lbs of LS from the LFS (Marine Scene in Herndon, VA). I am using a simple 30 gal Rubbermaid sump (with approx 20 gal of water) and Turboflotor skimmer with 4 Power Sweep powerheads (that have already stopped "sweeping"). I use RO/DI water from a Kent Marine Hi-S 60GPD filter. My lighting consists of two 36W NO tubes (one 50/50 and one 10K) and one 96W PC.

Please give me feedback on the following plans for stocking my tank. In addition to compatibility, I am VERY interested in your thoughts on WHICH TO ADD FIRST.

Okay, here goes my "fish wish list":

1 - Long Spined Porcupine OR Stars and Stripes Puffer (any feedback as to which does better or is more compatible with the others on my list?)
2 - Yellow Tang OR Hippo Tang
3 - Red Line Squirrelfish
4 - Flame Angel
5/6 - Pair of Maroon Clowns or Pair of Pink Skunk Clowns
7 - Strawberry Gramma OR Royal Gramma

In addition, I am interested in keeping 3-4 inverts such as:
1 - Coral Banded Shrimp/ Fire Shrimp/ Peppermint Shrimp
2 - Serpent Star
3 - Anemone (for the clowns)

TIA

:D

asmujica
03/03/2002, 12:40 PM
What model zoomeds do you have?

I would suggest pointing the transparent thingy at an angle to help with the rotating action.

I have one and it hasn't stoped moving.

Pomacanthus1
03/03/2002, 01:32 PM
Just sp you know, you will need a 4+" of sand for a functioning DSB. I don't know the dimensions of a 100g tank, but i'm sure that you will need way more than 125 lbs of sand. Check out the sand bed calculator here on RC to see exactly how much you need.

The tangs, puffer, clowns, or grammas would be the best fish to add first IMO. I don't really know about the squirelfish, but don't add the flame angel for a while. They need an established system with lots of algae to scavenge off of. They don't usually do that great in a new tank.

I wouldn't add the CB shrimp or serpent star. Coral banded shrimp are known to be aggressive to other shrimp and even eat corals, and if you do a search on the serpent star you'll come up with all sorts of horror stories about them catching and eating small fish and inverts. There are some people that have had positive experiences with both though.

Anemones are difficult to keep, and until you have had success at keeping corals and inverts for a while, and after doing a lot of research, don't try to keep one.

calvin-x
03/03/2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the input!
asmujica - As for the PowerSweeps I will try your advice. They may simply need a vinegar bath from the southdown storm that they had to endure.
Pomacanthus1 - My sand bed ranges from 1" to 3.5". Not to start another debate or go off on a tangent, but I WAS planning a DSB and was prepared to add another 50-100 lbs of SD until I read the posts last week (especially "Bare bottom/shallow bed reef-keepers lend me your ear..... ") I decided to postopne the DSB. I will possibly add one to my sump.
I hear you on the Flame Angel, I had pretty much planned to add that one last/close to last.
Are there other stars that would be suitable in a tank with inverts and small/medium fish? Linkia?
Thanks again and, for the record, I am not in a rush to add everything, I simply want to add the right things so that I don't paint myself into a corner down the road.

Rock Anemone
03/03/2002, 08:58 PM
would the puffer do ok with corals and anemones??? Cause i was looking into a spineless one like the carribian ones or maybe a dog face... maybe not maybe a dwarf one... be really neat!!!!!!! I like sand shiftign star's try 2 of them really neat fish....

Froil
03/03/2002, 09:32 PM
I am not 100% sure so correct me if i am wrong, but i didn't think that grammas liked fish of the same species together (ie 7 grammas?) just a thought to check into. i know i had a couple basslets together and they weren't happy.

asmujica
03/03/2002, 09:45 PM
Hehheheheh, I think it is a numbered list.

He is not buying 7, 6 or 5 of each :)

calvin-x
03/03/2002, 09:51 PM
Froil, the "7" next to strawberry gramma represented the cumulative TOTAL count of fish. I definitely am not planning to keep 7 of any single type of fish ;)

Froil
03/03/2002, 10:02 PM
sorry been a long day:o

Pomacanthus1
03/03/2002, 10:03 PM
Yea, a linkia would be a great addition to your tank. I'n not quite sure exactly what they eat, but they are in no way dangerous and absolutely reef safe. Mine is the ideal reef citizen:D Just make sure you acclimate them slowly for at least 3 hours, or they will probably die.