PDA

View Full Version : This is getting stupid...

VDHD
03/03/2002, 11:06 AM
Okay - I think I'm about to lose it...

In the last 2 months I moved my tank from my office to home. Everything was going well... I bought extra LR, I replaced my sump because my other one was too loud.. I essentially spent around $2000 moving this stupid 92 gallon home (Canadian).

Anyways, now it's here... I bought a clown trigger to start, then I started looking at the sand, and realizing that I've been through a FOLR tank before I decided I might try a reef.. I went back to the LFS and returned the fish.

I am now sitting on an empty tank, tons of LR, it's all established. I have 3 fixtures (because I bought another CF last month) and I was told that I'll have to switch to MH in order to have a reef.

Which means I have to buy a chiller? Perhaps a calcium reactor?

Does it ever end?

Is this getting stupid? Should I quit while the quitting is good?

I have 2 - 36" Ballasts with 2 Actinic and 2 50/50, and I have one 24" with 1 - 50/50.

What to do...

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 11:53 AM
You don't NEED metal halide to have a reef. There are sooooo many different types of soft coral that will do quite well under PC's.
You need to step back and decide what you want to keep.
What size tank do you have and exactly what are you using for light (I know you are running PC's, whats the watts?)
M/H doesn't necessarily mean a need for a chiller, I run M/H without even any fans and have not seen my temp climb too much. I've only had the halides on my tank one summer so far, so this may change, but my system is large, 125 gal display and sump/'fuge in the basement that is about 150 gals. temp doesn't flux too much.
Calcium reactor is another thing that might be totally unnecessary, depending on what you want to keep. My tank is mostly softies so far. I add Kent tech A-B to maintain ALK. and CA.
For now, I'd say keep what you have, stock with the appropriate animals and upgrade later when and if the "stoney bug" bites

jciaccio
03/03/2002, 03:35 PM
I would recommend a good book on reef aquariums like Reef Aquariums by John Tullock..