PDA

View Full Version : Red Cyano removal

WarDaddy
10/04/2005, 06:08 PM
I am setting up a new tank. I got Rock and sand from a fellow RCer. There is Red Cyano in the rock and sand. How do I get rid of it?

the water I am using is all RO/DI, salinity is 1.025. I have not tests anything else seeing I just added the rock and sand an am expecting the cycle to begin soon.

I have added a small amount of cyclopese to start my cycle.

what can I do?

ddenham
10/04/2005, 06:44 PM
let it be. A Cyano outbreak is common as a tank matures

graphixx22
10/04/2005, 06:56 PM
you can cut back your lighting a bit and also increase your flow but like stated above most of the time these outbreaks take care of themselves.

ONEMANBAND
10/04/2005, 07:04 PM
take it out of the tank and scrub the heck out of your rocks, you dont want it in there, cyano can become a serious problem and will be much easier to deal with up front.

BloBBeBo
10/04/2005, 08:36 PM
God almighty, don't scrub your rocks unless you want half the life on them to go down the drain along with the stupid algae that will probably go away on it's own in a few weeks.

WarDaddy
10/04/2005, 09:00 PM
BloBBeBo, thanks for reenforcing what I was thinking.

I think that because I am cycling this tank, It has no like in it other than a few snails, a hitch hiket bristle star and tons of brittle worms, I will let it be for a few weeks and see what happens.

ILikeFish
10/04/2005, 09:03 PM
Like someone else said its normal, ugly but normal. Might wanna test for Calcium. Cyano doesnt like it much. My 2 tanks both had little cyano blooms. Now I'm stuck in the algae blommm awhhh!!!!