PDA

View Full Version : Greasy water surface...

denkigroove
03/03/2002, 05:26 AM
Seems like my water surface is a greasy film, pretty much a greasy layer. What's the cause of this? I pointed my powerhead towards the surface to break the grease but it doesnt seem to work. Anyone know how to remedy this? Should increase water surface current? I dont want to have my current too strong.

dattack
03/03/2002, 05:51 AM
Did you wash your hands and arms before putting it in to the tank?
Looks like the excess oil might have came from you, from the food you are feeding the fish, or excess waste/organics from the bioload. Is you skimmer working properly?
I guess the best options is what you have done so far in breaking the surface tension of the top layer or maybe it's time to get a sump and overflow box to your system?:D

denkigroove
03/03/2002, 06:02 AM
Well I decided to go skimmerless since I run a refugium now. The refugium is gravity fed therefore the refugiums water surface is always clear.

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=403200

Impossible for me to run an overflow from the main tank to the refugium of course. So is there another alternative to ridding the greasy coat on the surface? Perhaps a water change?

ajx22
03/03/2002, 06:33 AM
I had the same thing on one of my tanks. Turns out that an internal submersible circulation pump failed and caused the slick!!

Took me a while to figure that out though as I had it hidden under and behind my LR providing circulation through the LR via a spraybar type set-up.

Even my skimmer wasn't removing it (wouldn't go down the overflow).

Don't know if this could be your problem...better safe then sorry though!

Good luck,