PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new 46g.

NewB46g
10/04/2005, 12:26 PM
Ok folks, after much reading on this forum (read all 2000 pages of waterkeepers "getting started" thread) I feel confident that I am ready to take the plunge.

I would love to use the search function to get this info but as of now it wont work so I need to bother you guys with a question that has been asked probably 1000 times.

What do I need to get this thing up and running..specific products?

My tank is a 46g bowfront, i'd prefer to hold off on the whole sump setup as of now (limited space).

I'd like to start FOWLR but upgrade to reef in the future, so everything i'd purchase should be enough to run a reef setup. I know enough about lighting to make an informed purchase (thanks to the "all about lighting thread). I know nothing about skimmers, but I need a hang on the back (as I have no sump). I know i'll need powerheads (which brands are best?? How many for a 46g?). I'm not really worried about the Test Kits and such, I'll buy all those at the LFS , but for the actual equipment I would like to purchase online to save some $$.

Is it okay to buy live rock online? LFS here sells it for 8$ a lb...NO THANKS! I plan on getting at least 50 lbs..Maybe 55.

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully soon enough you will see my new tank thread diary!!

Daecrist
10/04/2005, 12:37 PM
I don't know what the preferred # is here, but most of the reading I've done recommends 1.5-2lbs of Liverock for every gallon of water that you have in your tank. If you're going with FO for starters then you can buy some porous rock either at your LFS or online (there are some places that sell rock that looks remarkably like the real thing) and seed that along with true liverock.

I haven't really found a better brand of powerhead. As long as it pumps the water and gets the job done.

On protein skimmers: I've been using a Seaclone 100 on the back of my 29 gallon reef for the past 6 months, but I haven't been impressed with it. I recently ordered a CPR Bak-pak R2 and will be putting that in soon. Some people have had no trouble with the Seaclones, but remember that you get what you pay for with skimmers.

Other than a skimmer, what sort of filtration were you planning?

NewB46g
10/04/2005, 12:43 PM
I was planning on using just live rock. I would like to purchase all live rock, no filler, unseeded. I would like to get to the point sooner or later where I can go reef with it. I didn't plan on using any type of filter other than a dsb and live rock with a skimmer.

Shooter7
10/04/2005, 12:51 PM
Hi, I have a 26 gal bowfront on which I am running a CPR Aquafuge with some live rock rubble and chaeto macroalgae, as well as my heater in to give me some benefits of a refugium without having the under the tank sump setup. I'm also running an Aqua C Remora protein skimmer. Pretty good skimmer, although cup needs to be cleaned about every 2 or 3 days at most, otherwise it almost completely stops producing. Also puts some bubbles back into the tank. I have not tried one yet, but the coralife superskimmers are supposed to be pretty good.

And yes, online live rock is fine. I got mine, Marshall Island rock, from Premium Aquatics...but there are several online rock dealers. Look through the list of RC sponsors, click on the ads at the top of the page, or run a search in the vendor forum for ideas from where to buy.

Lighting won't be a big deal for a FOWLR, but you'll have to keep it in the back of your mind for down the road reef keeping. Good luck.

Shooter7
10/04/2005, 12:52 PM
Oh, and

[welcome]

Good job on reading waterkeeper's thread. :thumbsup:

jent46bow
10/04/2005, 01:06 PM
I also have a 46g bow...I highly recomend the CPR bak pak skimmer. It has been on my tank with the surface skimmer and it just kicks ***. I have not had any issues with it other than the ruber gasket to hold up the collection cup broke so I had to use some ruber bands. Oh well, as for other items I personally use 5 power heads on a wavemaker so they are not all running at once. I have a pretty high flow tank too, I say you could easly get by with 3 decent power heads running 24/7. Also I would recomend a sump. I too don't have one but as soon as I move my tank...I am going to put it in a corner so I can fit a 30gallon tall sump behind, I will then attach my bak pak to the sump, unfortantly it wont be for another year. But I lasted 8 so far without one.

NewB46g
10/04/2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the reply shooter. I am going to buy good lighting from the start. I plan on buying the Nova Extreme T5 36" Fixture. Its a 4 bulb 156 watt setup (lunar lights included). www.liveaquaria.com has some great deals on live rock, and where its a new setup I figured it would be a great way to cycle the tank.

Now the CPR aquafuge is what?? A HOB fuge?? That would be perfect for what I want ( I had never hear of a HOB fuge..Only sump style). I'm not worried about noise a bit...My freshwater is noisy all all heck with the two filters i've got running that piece lol.

The good thing is I already have a Hot Magnum with particle filter for polishing every once and a while.

I see that the remoria is HIGHLY reccomended..Is it VERY pricey...I will have around $1000 to spend so if its not TOO bad its okay.

Like I said before I want my tank to be pretty much reef ready I don't really want to skimp on anything (other than the sump setup)

NewB46g
10/04/2005, 01:14 PM
It would be nice to have a sump I know... However, its a new tank, with a new stand, with no room underneath it. I do have a basement, however, I have a beautiful Maine maple hardwood floor and I REFUSE to drill holes in it. So for now, the sump isn't really an option at all.

Shooter7
10/04/2005, 02:39 PM
Well, here's a link to one site's Aqua C Remora skimmer...this is the setup I have with the MJ1200 pump.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORA&Category_Code=AquaC

And you're in luck, the Aquafuges are on sale right now!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3618&Ntt=refugium&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

HTH
Good luck! :cool:

drunktank
10/04/2005, 04:12 PM
I would suggest on your 46 you do get a filter, I personally use Fluvals.

My 46g bow runs a Berlin turbo skimmer and a Fluval 404 (quiet u cant hear it) and 2 power heads. the only trouble i ever had w/ my 46 gallon was its size, way to small for my taste, thats probably why I got myself a 150 gallon yesterday :)

good luck with your tank, remember to be patient.

NewB46g
10/05/2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks shooter, that CPR refuge looks like it would be perfect for my setup...Good looking out. The Remora seems just about perfect as well...You're good..DO you think I need a canister Shooter? I'd really prefer to stay away from that rout. Especially fluval..I've had bad luck with fluvals in my FW setups.

WaterKeeper
10/05/2005, 10:45 AM
Hi NewB,

I was watching and you skipped pages 1239-1378. :D

Both the Remora and the CPR have a good reputation and are widely used by many hobbyists. For additional circulation you might consider setting up a closed loop. It could be powered by a single hidden powerhead. A cheap canister is always nice to have but not mandatory. I use them for water polishing and running carbon. They also can be used for circulation in a Q-tank or hospital tank.

Armed with 50 lbs of LR, DSB, HOB skimmer and some additional circulation all you need are the lights. You seem to have a handle on those so good luck.

Shooter7
10/05/2005, 11:19 AM
You're good

Actually, I owe alot of what I know to Waterkeeper. (I'm still in recovery therapy as a result, though ;) )

I agree with what Tom says above regarding the canister. Not something you have to or need to run all the time, but good to have around to do the things he mentioned. (just watch him if he starts giving you auto-topoff advice :eek: ..... j/k Tom! :D )

Well, NewB, sounds like it's time to put it together and start rolling! :thumbsup:

btw...if you're planning on ordering any of the stuff we've talked about, shoot me a PM before you do and I can discuss some specifics with you.

gizmo7718
10/05/2005, 11:58 AM
Hi NewB46g,

I too have a sumpless 46 bow. I use a Remora Pro w/ Mag5 and I've been very happy with the results. I started with a CPR bakpak, then a Remora, and finally ended up with the Pro. It pulls a good amount of skimmate. I use the surface skimmer/bubble trap attachment. It kind of takes up a lot of room in the tank, but it removes the surface gunk and the bubble trap return portion can be used to house carbon for water polishing (no real need for a canister filter for carbon).
For flow I run 4 maxijet 1200s on a wavemaker. Flow is good, but I'm replacing them with 2 Seio 1100s. I want a more gentle dispersed flow. I'm losing the randomness of the wavemaker, but I'm hoping the overall increased flow will compensate. I really wanted some Tunze Streams on a multicontroller but couldn't afford them.
I was considering a HOB refugium with a reverse photoperiod lighting schedule, but in my opinion the residual light that leaks into the main tank may never give me a "dark" period (night time is when the real magic happens in a reef tank!). So I basically keep some chaeto tucked in behind some of the rock. It gets enough reflected light to grow and it provides a snack for my tang.
It seems like you've enough research to point you in the right direction. Good luck, and post pics once you're up an running!

Gabe

fkshiu
10/05/2005, 12:16 PM
I've been running a 46 bow for about a year and a half now. It's barebottom with 2x Maxijet 1200s and a canister for flow.

I too have gone sumpless because of the lack of space and have a converted AC500 HOB refugium and a Remora over-driven by a Mag5.

I solved the light flooding into the main tank for the 'fuge at night problem by taping off the AC500 cover with electrical tape and jamming a leftover piece of Starboard (plastic from by BB setup) into the AC500 outflow where most of the stray light comes through. Only a negligible amount of light gets through at night now.

NewB46g
10/05/2005, 12:27 PM
Waterkeeper

Thanks for the reply and I am very sorry to hear about your setup. (I've been lurking for quite a while). I do have a couple of canisters, a H.O.T. Magnum and a Fluval...I figured i'd use them when needed as you said. Thanks for the huge thread you made, everything (well some of it anyways) was very helpful. If I were to use a CRP HOB refuge and a few 3 or 4 decent powerheads (possibly a wave maker setup) would I need the closed loop? I will probably pick up the Ramora skimmer as well.

Shooter

I'm assuming i'll begin with the purchasing in the begining of November. My wife said I can do whatever I want with the aquarium if I buy her a couch first (she knows how to get what she wants). She gave me the choice of a big screen TV or a reef setup for my aquarium..... I already have a lil TV, but I don't have a SW setup...So its an easy choice for me.

Hows this for a list of things I should pickup:

36" 156w NOva Extreme T5 lighting with lunar lights
CPR HOB Fuge
Aqua C Ramora skimmer
Some RO/DI unit
A spare heater
3 or 4 powerhead wavemaker set
EIther playsand or agronite (sp.?) depending on avail.
SALT! mortons is prefered. :D
A Refractometer
Test kit with all the goodies

What I already have:
FLuval 202 (pos!)
H.O.T. Magnum
A really nice submergable heater (don't remember the brand name or size off the top of my head).
46g Bow with Glass top.
An internet connection with reefcentral.com bookmarked.

NewB46g
10/05/2005, 01:33 PM
I priced out most of what I need...Around $1000...Not too bad (should have kept the Oscars). :D I can almost see the tank setup now... BYE BYE DISPOSABLE INCOME!

Shooter7
10/05/2005, 02:15 PM
PM's sent

WaterKeeper
10/05/2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by NewB46g
Thanks for the huge thread you made, everything (well some of it anyways) was very helpful.

Some? I'll give you SOME! :)

I expect about a 200 page thread telling me what was not helpful. ;)

Sounds like a good plan NewB. Oscars are cool but a great looking group of SW fish is awesome. You're off to a great start and hopefully in a few months you'll be telling other newbies how to start a tank.