PDA

View Full Version : Joy Joy Joy

H. lunulata
03/02/2002, 07:55 PM
Finally I have water and sand in my tank!! Hooray!!! for me. Can't want for the SD sand to settle and the stocking to begin. Of course after the long cycling period that is. But I won't think about that now. Aaaahh corals aswayin' and fish aswimmin'.

naesco
03/02/2002, 08:02 PM
3 months from now and not a minute sooner.
In the meantime enjoy the critters on your rock. They change daily. Look closely.

Avi
03/02/2002, 09:36 PM
if you dont have live rock in there yet, put some in. it will greatly help settle down the sand.

H. lunulata
03/02/2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. This whole LR, LS and letting the tank cycle process has my head spinning. I need a clear answer (like do this this and this since I and so and so and so and so and so and so have done this and we have been very succesful) to when to add an inch of MO LS and my LR. I thought I was supposed to let the sand settle then order LS and LR once the water is clear. What is the SOP for this? Especially since the LR will not be fully cured. Thanks.....DREW

Reefette
03/02/2002, 10:49 PM
Hi Drew!

I would put your LR in now and let the sand and rock cycle together. :) The LR will help to start the bacteria and critters in the sand and plus you won't have to cycle twice by adding the rock later.

I never cycled with damsels or dead shrimp, so I can't give you advice on that. I just threw the occasional pinch of flake food in there for the pods and such while I waited my 6 weeks for "THE CURE". :)

I bet if you ask REAL nice, some of us would bring you a cup of sand for your tank at the next club meeting. :)

I also have shrooms and Xenia with your name on it when you're ready. :D

Reefette

Gina
03/03/2002, 10:45 AM
I agree, get the rock in there right away. If you are adding live sand to seed your bed, add that at the same time. I'm looking forward to the pics Drew!

Gina

Wrasseman
03/03/2002, 11:01 AM
I'd add the rock as well. You have got a good start, take things slowly and ask lots of questions. That's what we are all here for...

H. lunulata
03/03/2002, 11:46 AM
Golly. Thank you all for the info and support. It's a scary thing when this much money is involved on a hobby. Well over $2000 so far. :eek1: And there's more things I want to add on to "tweak" the system. Yikes!!!! I will be ordering the LS and premium deco LR from Gulf-View tomorrow. Questions: 1. Do I need to run my lights on this rock or just let it sit in darkness for the six or so weeks while cycling? 2. Won't the cloudy water kill the encrusted life (corals, sponges, coralline algae, and whatnot) that will be on the rock?

Reefette: As my hero would say "WooHoo!!" Thank you.

Iwantacephalopod
03/03/2002, 11:56 AM
Mr. Lunata I am new to reefs also but I noticed your name is the species name of the blue ring octo. Are you thinking about getting your self an octo someday ( not the blue ring obviously cause hes venmous) but any other octo? such as an O. bimac.
Tons of people tell me that bimac is the hardiest of all the octos. I dont know, I am just curious if you were going to get one cause of your name.
P.S: look at my name lol
take care and good luck,
Mr. tonberry