PDA

View Full Version : nitrite question

CCWS
10/03/2005, 01:05 PM
I just switched to Sailfert test kits from red sea. With the red sea kit my nitrites were 0. The Sailfert is more sensitive and it now reads at 0.25 which would have been 0 with the red sea kit. The red sea kit reads 0 then 0.5. I have a fowlr and inverts at this time. I do want to make this a reef tank in the next few months. My fish have been fine and I have had no deaths yet. Does this amount of nitrite matter? If so how do I get this down?

zoazoa
10/03/2005, 01:10 PM
I prefer salifert than red sea. Saloifert is the best to measure the parameter of your water. Belive salifert.

MCary
10/03/2005, 02:38 PM
Nitrite is not toxic to SW fish. However, if you have measurable nitrites you probably have high nitrates. Your going to have to address this to go reef. Be thinking refugium for the future.

CCWS
10/03/2005, 02:52 PM
I do have elevated nitrates and have a fuge on order. I hope to have it up and running in the next two weeks!

WaterKeeper
10/03/2005, 03:09 PM
Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are in continual flux in your tank. The uptake and conversion of all of them is fairly rapid but any or all may be in a tank at any point in time. The jury is still out on the overall effect of nitrite on both fish and inverts. It is more toxic to inverts but there are many reports that it may effect fish. Run some tests directly after feeding then again several hours later. If the nitrite levels drop off after the tank is not fed you are probably OK.