PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

vetman81
03/02/2002, 05:20 PM
I currently have a 55g FOWLR setup. When I was starting, everything I was told and read said 1 inch of fish per 2-5 gallons of water, depending upon the source. How does this rule relate to corals, anemones, etc.??

Thanks

Pomacanthus1
03/02/2002, 05:29 PM
I've never heard of anyone using that rule for corals. You basically know you have to many corals when they are competing for space and are attacking/burning each other.

The inch per gallon isn't really a great rule for stocking fish either, it depends on not only how long the fish is, but how fat the fish is, how much it eats...etc.

griss
03/02/2002, 05:29 PM
Interesting question Vetman. IMO the inches of fish per gallon is not an accurate measurement of how many fish you can have. I think that it is one of those aquarium myths. As far as how many animals you can keep in a reef, it really depends upong several things.

1. What do you want to keep?
2. Are they compatible?
3. Your water quality.
4. Your lighting.
5. Many other things.

Your best bet is to research, research and then do some more research.

If you have specific animals in mind that you want to keep, post a more specific question and we'll be happy to provide an answer to the best of our abilities.

Griss

vetman81
03/02/2002, 05:57 PM
Griss,
Nothing specific, I was just wondering. I keep a close eye on my water quality, so I don't really depend too much on that rule either. Like I said, I was just curious.

Thanks for the info.