PDA

View Full Version : jciaccio about that wet\dry

WatchUrSix
03/02/2002, 03:09 PM
my local lfs uses one big system for his tanks. i can't remeber what it was but he has to big tubs full of water. one he had a bunch of spunges in and the other is just water. I worked with him for a little while but it was the kind of job where i was just there helping with the other animals. as for how salt water tanks worked i only got a little bit out of him. i also know he had a skimmer what was about 5ft or 6 ft tall. any idea what he's using, and their might have benn more to it.

griss
03/02/2002, 05:40 PM
Sounds like the sponges are the filtration there. I would recommend against this form of filtration for a reef tank as the sponges will trap food and detritus. Unless the sponges are cleaned regularly they can lead to water quality problems.

You would be better off using a DSB or plenum, skimmer and live rock for filtration in a reef tank.

Griss

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 10:29 AM
Griss is right, sponge or pad type mechanical filtration is DESIGNED to trap uneaten food and detritus. this will rot and foul your water as it passes through.
Cleaning them often is helpfull, but, while catching food and detritus, the filter pads/sponges also colonize bacteria (good stuff) and pods love to live and breed there. Every time you clean them, you will kill off this bacteria and pods. knowing this makes ME not want to clean them out, so, I don't use 'em.