PDA

View Full Version : please help me!!!!!!!

theviking
03/02/2002, 11:57 AM
ok i have started up my tank and it has been five weeks.first week ammonia was off the chart and it started decreasing in the middle of the second week and nitrite was off the chart then a week later ammonia was minimum and nitrite also and nitrates was off the chart.week 4 changed 5% water then one day later tested for everything zero on ammonia,nitrite and nitrates.my question is this in the fourth week water was getting a litle white fog in it and didnt change when i did the water change the fog started on tuesday and i did the water change on wednesday tested the water on thursday and added 2 false percula clowns on friday they seam to be happy but now is saturday and the water has still fog in it is this normal or did i do something wrong have got one answear that the bacteria is settling down.

griss
03/02/2002, 12:41 PM
Viking...could be a bactrial bloom. I would recommend another water change and see what happens. As long as your water parameters are good and your livestock is healthy be patient.

Griss

asmodeus
03/02/2002, 01:19 PM
well Maybe your dsb if yoiu have one is still shifting around due to the current in the tank, if you have lots of current.
What do you have for PH'S?
Are you using RO water of town,city water?
What type of rock do you have in the tank?

Where did you get the rock from

Skipper
03/02/2002, 07:53 PM
Your tank is still cycling.

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 10:00 AM
Sorry Viking,
I'm with Skipper on this one. I think you have jumped the gun. You have described the typical cycling process, Ammo spike, Nitrite spike, nitrate spike. But, it seems to me that this process went too fast by your account.
I would recommend retesting that water with a good quality test kit for all 3 (Ammo, Trite, Trate)
Should you find that I'm correct in my assumption, you should remove the fish to a safe place untill your new system is ready.

asmodeus
03/03/2002, 10:09 AM
Well i guess i just learn something else.
See it's true what they say ...
Your always learning something new in the marine world..:eek1:
My apologies too the wrong infor
SKIPPER ,DGENR8

:bum:

DgenR8
03/03/2002, 11:32 AM
Asmo,
No need for apologies, we're all here to learn, teach and express views!

Toutouche
03/03/2002, 11:53 AM
Agree that your tank is still cycling. Even though it went through the initial cycles, your tank still has to mature a bit, and the bacteria, and stuff still have to grow. If everything is in check, the cloudiness will dissapear at the right time in the cycling. Your going to get other types of blooms such as algae blooms. These are all normal processs. You have to really be patient, and hold off on stocking livestock for awhile longer. When the time comes that you think your tank might be ready, but are unsure, post the question here with all your water parameters, and time frame for what the tank has gone through already. Just don't stock anymore till your sure the time's right.

theviking
03/03/2002, 11:58 AM
on saturday nigth i was out until 1:30 am and the timer on my tank is set on 11 pm.the timer is connected to 2 objects my ligths and my skimmer.my skimmer(seaclone) has an air valve that obviusly siphoned water out of my tank and onto the floor.everything was soaking in water i was so paranoid that i walked into the room and i wasnt aware that the electricity was still on so i saw a bright ligth from where the power connections are and i was standing on 2 towels trying to clean the water if i hadnt stood on those towels i would have been electricuted so after that i managed to save my perculas and one turbo snail and get them to a bucket where they will be until tomorrow i return them to my LFS.

Skipper
03/03/2002, 12:07 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that Viking. Good luck to ya.....

Duce
03/03/2002, 02:59 PM
This is a few things I learn from this board (and personal experience) about wiring.....
1. GFIC
2. Gounding Prob (Some may dispute this one)
3. Drip Loop on wiring
4. Mount all electrical (i.e. power bar) vertically on a board or location where it will not get wet - incl. spray from plumbing leak...

I am in the process of doing # 3 & 4.

Skipper
03/03/2002, 04:18 PM
Check this out on GFCI outlets:

<b><a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/search.php?action=simplesearch&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=ascending&forumchoice=-1&searchdate=-1&titleonly=yes&query=GFCI+OR+GFI" target="_blank">Past threads about GFCI circuts.</a> Start with: <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=6738&highlight=GFCI+OR+GF" target="_blank">GFI saves ---> aLittlebutt !!!I</a> then <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=7371&highlight=GFCI+OR+GFI" target="_blank">GFCI Saved My Life!</a></b>