PDA

View Full Version : Dave, we're rich!!!

zanemoseley
09/29/2005, 07:15 PM
Well maybe. There's a guy selling some "idaho grape" frags on the FS forum that look identical to your purple monti.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5810562#post5810562

Actually I don't think his is the real idaho grape or his picture looks weird because the picture on reeffarmers.com looks different.

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedmontiporagrape.htm

LeftCoast
09/29/2005, 07:22 PM
I seriously doubt the ID of the Idaho Grape. It looks more like M. hodgesoni to me...

cee
09/29/2005, 07:35 PM
I doubt the tyree Idaho grape is undata. I tell people all the time that mine's a dead-ringer for the grape, blue polyps and all. But, it's definately a hodgsoni. Anyway, I don't care about rich (I'll accomplish that by other means like my Seio controller), just want to spread the joy of the hobby and make it more affordable for everyone (and maybe accomplish a few other things in the process). This hobby doesn't have to be expensive...

Dave

zanemoseley
09/29/2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah too bad my 75 is almost full of frags and small colonies or I'd come get some more of your nice frags. I'm sure I could squeeze a couple more frags in but I wanna leave some room for the corals to grow out. I'm also gonna have to move in a little over a year and don't wanna cram it full or it will be that much harder to break down.

LeftCoast
09/29/2005, 08:00 PM
Dave, soon enough my dad and I will be getting a new tank (well, hopefully). Do you think we could get a frag from you then?

cee
09/29/2005, 08:03 PM
Spiff:

Sure, if you buy my excess LR (JK!). The monti's getting huge, so fraggin' it is never a problem. Just need to reduce some more LR!

Dave

LeftCoast
09/29/2005, 08:44 PM
How big would a frag be for how much? Perhaps $20 per inch?

zanemoseley
09/29/2005, 11:28 PM
Here's a pic of the small colony that grew from Dave's frag, There also another piece next to it on the rock that is about half the size of this. I accidentally broke it off when trying to remove a piece of dead skelaton on the original piece. Thats the only thing I don't like about this cap is it tends to lose tissue when glued or epoxied. None the less a great cap.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/zanemoseley/purplecap.jpg

zanemoseley
09/29/2005, 11:30 PM
Here's another of my caps, probably my favorite, its a green with purple rim, for the first 6 months all I could get was tan with purple rim then I started doing weekly 15% WC's and the green exploded out of it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/zanemoseley/greenpurplerimcap.jpg

cee
09/30/2005, 05:20 AM
Here's mine, the original. Originally came from Dr. Mac in Maryland.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/commiphora/frags/monti.jpg

Dave

LeftCoast
09/30/2005, 02:59 PM
Zane, that purple rim is really nice.

easttn
09/30/2005, 08:50 PM
FWIW, I put Dave's frag right next to Tyree's piece (got it from him Steve "himself", they are the same.

Charles

cee
09/30/2005, 09:14 PM
Yep, I thought so. Came in as an ugly brown frag, though, but now, wow! Got a Leng Sy lookie-like too in the same batch, as well as a sweet lokani (see avitar). Got several other "Tyree" corals, but got them before they were LEs. Just gotta get lucky, I guess.

Dave

cee
10/01/2005, 03:47 PM
Got a frag of the purple monti available, about 1.5". $15 if someone wants it.

Dave

phudeb
10/01/2005, 11:23 PM
Dave,
I want it, along with the nasuta if it's still available. I was got to work out when I can pick up. I might be in Kingston soon.

thanks,
phu

zanemoseley
10/03/2005, 05:37 PM
Dave I have a question for you, how do you normally frag the cap and get the piece you were going for without breaking off too much. I'm about to frag it for the first time but only want a 1" piece off it. Do you score it with a razor blade first or do you just break and pray.

cee
10/03/2005, 05:42 PM
Zane:
Break it with my stainless coral shears underwater. More of a twisting motion in the direction I want it to break, but even then, you never can be certain.

Phu:
A. nasuta still available, but cap frag was sold. My policy always has been first-come, first-served (too many no shows in the past to hold stuff for people). That and LR all that's left, but you never know what I'll frag unless you stop by :-)

Dave

RCS
10/03/2005, 06:13 PM
but cap frag was sold

...and doing nicely thus far. Polyps were extended today when I got home, so I'm taking that as a good sign (that, and it's still purple! LOL). Thanks again Dave.

I promise I won't jump on the next one so quickly Phu, it's all yours (unless someone else jumps on it!). Dave has got a LOT of really nice stuff; it's a very impressive tank even now with a lot of frags. It will look phenomenal when it all grows in!

<ahem> Tank of the Month <ahem> ;)

cee
10/03/2005, 06:26 PM
Bullet-proof and a pretty fast grower. Keep it under moderate light to maintain the purple and blue polyps, and mount it in a few days (it'll slime bad, so try and mount it by the skeleton if possible). Thanks for the compliment.

Dave

RCS
10/03/2005, 06:42 PM
Dave, that was a compliment-in-progress...right now your tank is enough to emit oohs and aahs...in a few months, it'll be enough to cause uncontrollable drooling! :eek2:

LeftCoast
10/03/2005, 06:43 PM
How are the Acans and Micros doing? I know you don't really have much photo skills (no offense), but maybe if you host again, someone (either llpoolej or me) could take some photos.

cee
10/03/2005, 06:57 PM
They're improving (photo skills and Acans)...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/commiphora/tank/acans.jpg

Dave

phudeb
10/03/2005, 09:53 PM
Dave,
That's OK, i don't know when I'll be in that area. Think it's time to visit the in-laws. They're in Kingston.

gflat65
10/03/2005, 10:35 PM
Nice:).

LeftCoast
10/03/2005, 10:52 PM
Speaking of LPS, I've got a fairly new colony. It's either Acan hillae or Favia veroni. I'm not sure which one (I've checked the exposed coralites, btw). It's got a red polyp mantle with a green oral disc.