PDA

View Full Version : ozone?

LawnTodd
09/29/2005, 03:28 PM
I'm going to be adding ozone to my tank. I have never researched ozone equipment before. What will I need and what brands work the best?
LT

GettingFiesty
09/29/2005, 03:52 PM
Todd, there are reef systems, but I am very happy with my Enaly (http://www.ozone.enaly.com/) Enaly being connected to my Milwaukee Controller (http://www.bestlabdeals.com/product_p/mil0030.htm)

The guys in the Bay Area just bought a whole bunch in a group buy (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=639027) as well.

Now, with that said....about every week, I need to clean my probe or it reads higher than it really is (but I just rinse it in vinegar) and I did not get a unit with an air dryer, but instead made my own. You can get the Enaly's on ebay, but I actually saved a little money by going direct and I got mine pretty fast (within a week from China) but some others have had delays.

Terry

Ben
09/29/2005, 03:57 PM
I just added an Enaly unit and the millwaukee controller as well, just yesterday.

I am worried about it as I run it through my skimmer and don't want to increase the overall nitrate going in the tank as ozone breaks things down before they get skimmed out.

I have read many contradicting things about weather ozone improves a skimmer or not.

I spent $140 for both the controller and the ozone unit so figured why not give it a try.

I got my controller from PA and ozonator from ebay for $36 and it shipped from USA, paid sunday and had it yesterday.

alannathanson
09/29/2005, 05:50 PM
When in doubt check the Calfo forum:
One of many ozone threads. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=651626&highlight=ozone)

alannathanson
09/29/2005, 06:18 PM
BTW, I just bought a Red Sea ozonizer and will be running it with my new AquaC EV 120 skimmer.

Does anyone know if the skimmer will draw ozone itself or if I need to use an air pump to push ozone in?

Also, Todd you need to use an air dryer to maximize ozone production. The 250 gram unit that comes with the Red Sea unit will last at most one week in the humidity of Fla. If you can get extra drying beads I recommend that because it takes about 45 minutes to recharge them in the oven. Its a real PITA to have to bake beads all the time. If you can just swap out the spent beads and do a bulk bake once in a while its alot easier.

I don't know if there is some kind of electronic air dryer that doesn't require constant maintenance but if there is one that is not too costly let me know.

alannathanson
09/29/2005, 06:30 PM
One other thing I just thought of: I read that ozone usage should be between 5-10 mg/hour for every 40 gal of water. Does this sound about right to the people out there using an ORP probe?

stan
09/29/2005, 06:43 PM
birdlady should jump in on this post . she's been running ozone for some time now and i think she really likes it.
i had a ozone unit years back and i wasnt running it through carbon and the smell was giving me headache's so i shut it off.
i think if you really do a good job with keeping your sumps clean, water changes and watch out for overfeeding your not really going to need one. there are alot of other things you can do to keep a reef in tip top condition.
stan

Birdlady
09/29/2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by alannathanson
BTW, I just bought a Red Sea ozonizer and will be running it with my new AquaC EV 120 skimmer.

Does anyone know if the skimmer will draw ozone itself or if I need to use an air pump to push ozone in?

Quit copying me! I have the exact same setup! You do need an airpump.

I like the ozone...my probe drifts as well I just clean it once per week, it is easy.

I adjust it up a little each day ntil I get the ORP to about 350-400.

I tend to overfeed so I use the ozone as a safeguard:D

The Red Sea DX has an OPR probe, ozone generator, and controller all in one package. You can also adjust the amount of ozone being dosed separate from the controller. I have the 100mg/hour unit,,,I know it is overkill!:D

GettingFiesty
09/29/2005, 07:06 PM
Alan, you don't need a pump, if you use a t-connector on your skimmer's airline it will pull what it needs of the ozone. I bought the one with the pump before I knew better and have been thinking of disconnecting the pump itself as some others have done.

I honestly can't answer on the 5-10 mg/hour but I do find that depending on what I am doing in my tank, that my levels will drop and the ozone will come on for awhile and then go back off when it reaches correct levels again.

Birdlady
09/29/2005, 07:26 PM
Well, when I called aquaC and asked them about the ozone, they told me the injector would need a pump to push the ozone...fwiw:)

tridacna5
09/29/2005, 07:49 PM
Anyone try making an air dryer with a desiccant such as Damprid (anhydrous calcium chloride) or Drierite (anhydrous calcium sulfate)?
The calcium chloride will turn to water when it is used up.
The Drierite is available with a color indicator.

You can also get the silica gel for drying flowers.

Here's some link, you can buy about 5 lbs of any of these for less than a new dryer.

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm

http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=40019

http://www.jakesmp.net/CSD_Silica_Gel/CSD_Silica_013_M.html

GettingFiesty
09/29/2005, 08:03 PM
Here is a great thread on ozone (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=517084&highlight=ozone)

GettingFiesty
09/29/2005, 08:11 PM
Todd, I use color changing silica gel beads. I took an old plastic PB jar and drilled holes in it to make an air dryer. I was going to use PVC, but decided I wanted to be able to see the beads. Works pretty well and the beads can be regenerated.

Sonia Taro
09/29/2005, 08:23 PM
Todd, I run the Enaly that has the integral air pump. I inject the O3 into one of my skimmer pumps. I do not monitor and have it hooked up to my frag vat. halide timer.

Marshall
09/29/2005, 09:02 PM
I was under the impression that humidity decreased the efficiency but did not affect the lifespan of the unit esp. in the case of corona discharge units (enaly). I planned on NOT using an air dryer simply to reduce the output and avoid a wave of huge ORP coming into the tank after the ozonizer kicks in. Am I misinformed? Should an air dryer always be used to preserve the equipment?

Sonia Taro
09/30/2005, 04:51 AM
I do not have a dryer on mine and when I disconnect the line going to the skimmer I am produce very obvious amounts of O3.

wil611
09/30/2005, 07:28 AM
I have a AquaC 120 and have been pumping the ozone into the air intake. I see several of you also have AquaC skimmers did you get yours with the ΒΌ" John Guest "Speedfit" fitting for ozone models? If so where was the fitting placed I was thinking of modifying mine by adding it.

As far as the air drier beads are concerned it is a pain to dry them every few weeks. I guess reading the other threads some say it is mostly to increase O3 production others say it is to prevent/reduce nitric acid production which could elevate your NO3 or worse if it builds up or pools in the air line.

The smell was awful when I first started using it but now has really diminished. The water really does get crystal clear in just a few days.

Birdlady
09/30/2005, 07:33 AM
I did not get mine with the John Guest fitting (poor planning on my part). When I called aqua C they told me I could hook it to the injector nozzle BUT to use a "T" so when the ozone is off, it can still draw air through an open port. I have the one line coming out of the skimmer, I used a JohnGuest "T" fitting from home depot and have one side open and the other side to the air pump through the ozone generator. No biggie.

They did say it is easy to add the fitting, you need to drill a hole in the skimmer and the part from aqua c was about 3 or 4 bucks.

I am afraid to drill:rolleyes:

Birdlady
09/30/2005, 07:35 AM
As for the smell, when I clean my probe, there is more O3 being forced through because of the low OPR, but when it is about at equilibrium, I don't smell it at all.

Also, I don't smell the ozone per say, it is a strong ocean smell, I guess the byproduct of the destruction of the organics. It is not a bad smell and it only lasts about a day.

wil611
09/30/2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks - Birdlady

I think I'll give AquaC a call for that part.

As for the ocean smell it was more like the back bay at low tide when I first started. ;)

Birdlady
09/30/2005, 08:34 AM
Ok, yes well that may be a more accurate description!:D But it did not smell of ozone,right?

wil611
09/30/2005, 08:49 AM
Correct it did not smell of ozone.

ribs
09/30/2005, 08:50 AM
Birdlady, you're so techie!
I'll look around to see if they sell pink cordless drills, "for the ladies".

(tagging along on the local ozone thread)

Birdlady
09/30/2005, 10:07 AM
HA! I do own my own cordless drill, altho it is green, not pink...hmmm:rolleyes: