PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Coraline Algae Scraping Acrylic

Majorwld3
09/29/2005, 11:18 AM
I need Advise on Coraline Algae Scraping on Acrylic. I have places where the flow hits the tank and it really builds up.

What is the best kind of scraper? I guess it must be plastic.

Lane

ezhoops
09/29/2005, 11:24 AM
well, this might not help but white vinegar will remove coraline but tank must empty and soak in vinegar for a couple minutes

MBX5
09/29/2005, 11:56 AM
Kent makes a scraper and it has a plastic blade.

artful-dodger
09/29/2005, 11:58 AM
Tunze also makes some magnetic scrapers that are acrylic safe. They have removable/replaceable pads. I haven't used them but saw some discussion in a thread in the Tunze vendor forum. I believe that Mag Float might have some specific to acrylic as well. As always, be careful not to pick up any sand or snails.

Best advice I've heard is catch it early and often. Wiping every day will keep it from catching hold and building up a big spot that requires more aggressive scraping.

bmwardo
09/29/2005, 05:35 PM
I use the Kent Scraper and am happy with it, but I also used it before any coraline would build up.

Personally I do not recommend any "acrylic safe" magnet scrapers. Granted the magnet and pads alone will not scratch but anything else it picks up almost certainly will. I will never use a magnet to clean acrylic unless I put those acrylic pads between them. I am not familiar with the Tunze so I cannot comment on how well they work.

Cris told me that he sometimes uses a metal blade (like you would on glass) but he says you have to be extremely careful.

alkoenig
09/29/2005, 07:27 PM
I've been using an old phone card (like credit card). It works great, but requires some elbow grease, and sticking my whole hand/arm in the tank which I would prefer not to do.

adams0816
09/29/2005, 10:33 PM
I agree with brandon, just remember a couple of months ago when del put some deep scratches in his tank from the magnetic scrapper because something got caught in it & put some deep scratches in his tank.

WifesaysImnuts
09/30/2005, 10:19 AM
I've had good luck with a plastic bladed ice scraper like we use in the winter on our cars.

Majorwld3
10/19/2005, 10:35 AM
Hey everybody. The plastic windshield ice scraper worked great. Real effort was required. I found that if I pushed gentley on the outside of the tank, it bowed kept that walls flat or even a little pushed in so that the scraper could catch on the coraline. I also found that it was much easier to scrap above the water. Thus I did a 30% water change and scraped while the water was low. Several nights ago, sometime during the night the GFI switch popped and the water staopped flowing. In my tank the water equalizes with out flow about 1.5" from the top in the tank, as the overflow and filters fill. The next morning I turned it back on with no real problems. However, the coraline that was exposed to air for some hours changed color. I think it died. But it ws easier to scrap.

Lane