PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

ste6168
09/28/2005, 09:17 PM
Ok so i am looking into getting a 75 gallon tank and was talking to the LFS about different filters and they suggested using a magnum350 from marineland, but after researching a little bit i noticed that this is not a bio filter? I was looking at the fluval multi stage304 which has the bio filter feature without adding another part? It's going to be a fish only with live rock tank? Thanks in advance...

bertoni
09/28/2005, 09:21 PM
[welcome]

You might not need a filter at all. A protein skimmer and live rock might do the job for you. If you want to keep a very heavy fish load, a wet-dry might be a good idea, or a bio-wheel if you want.

Pilot Fish
09/28/2005, 09:36 PM
Many of the canister filters out today claim to have a "Bio" component to them but in all my experience selling them and servicing tanks with them I have come to the conclusion that they are more gimicky that useful. 99.9% of your bio filtration is in your substrate-and or live rock. Use a canister for its intended purpose as a mechanical cleaner and rock as the bio component.
Good Luck

kau_cinta_ku
09/28/2005, 11:31 PM
i also agree with them. if you have 1-2 lbs per gals or live rock in your tank that will be the only filter you need. the only thing you will really need an external filter for is to run carbon to polish your water if you need to