PDA

View Full Version : brown algea

scottrader
03/01/2002, 03:15 PM
I was hoping someone could help me with this - I have been cycling my 55 gal tank for about 2 week with about 60 pounds of live rock. The ammonia shot up and is slowly starting to come down, but now I am getting a lot of brown algea. Is this good bad or indifferent? I'm tring to update my lights - I have 2 actinic and 2 i don't know bulbs in there now.

Thanks,

Scott

tyoberg
03/01/2002, 03:37 PM
It's pretty typical for a new tank to go through a series of algae outbreaks. The first, diatoms, have a brown dusty appearance and are easily siphoned out of the tank. They are really almost completely due to the presence of silicates in your tank. Once they are exhausted, your diatoms will go away.

If you continue to add silicates (usually by using tap water), you will continue to have diatoms.

scottrader
03/01/2002, 04:05 PM
I use that plastic tube with the sandy looking stuff to purify the water (de-ionizer?). I put about 4-6 incehes of southdown caribbean sand in the bottom could either of these have caused it?

tyoberg
03/01/2002, 04:09 PM
A DI will remove silicates and to tell the truth, you could probably use silica sand and not have any problems. Diatoms are just something that happens to a new tank. You've got decent water (just remember to to replace the DI cartriges when they change color)--I doubt this little problem will develop into a plague.

Ty

GoodgREEF
03/01/2002, 04:20 PM
I would suggest a protien skimmer if you can afford one. They will remove the diatoms within 2 weeks completly. IMO.

scottrader
03/01/2002, 05:25 PM
The protein skimmer is on the way. I should have it by Monday. I really appreciate all the help guys.

Scott