PDA

View Full Version : new to corals

scuba2
09/28/2005, 07:08 PM
I have NO lighting 48'' I have three tubes 1 50/50 1- ultra daylight and 1- 03 blue along with this I have a 10 gal marine glo that acts as a moon light this comes on about 1 hr before the others go off. I have a button plyp. I have it at about the middle of my 55 gal. Will it make it. I have tried mushroom coral and they died I have the coral about threee months now and I have some doubt. It took about 5 months for the mushroom to turn white and I still have it but it is gone I add cal B-ionic and feed marine snow plakn once a week. I would like to know if it is my lighting and if so what would be the way to go I don't have a lot of funds though Please help!!!!!

kau_cinta_ku
09/28/2005, 11:43 PM
what are the water parameters? i doubt it could be the light as those corals can do fine with little light. however if they are at the bottom of the tank try to move them toward the top. but i think maybe something with the water quality

Dubbin1
09/29/2005, 08:54 AM
NO lighting is a no no when it comes to having corals. You are going to have to step it up to PC, VHO, T5 or MH.

bertoni
09/29/2005, 06:41 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

That article also has some background on basic water parameters that corals will demand.

This book is very handy, IMO:

[ericsbook]

NO is pretty dim, but you might have a water quality problem in addition.

yankeebobo
09/29/2005, 07:23 PM
Check water paramters and get that light up to PC or VHO - minimum.

Severum
09/29/2005, 07:27 PM
scuba,

I supsect water quality. I kept softies years ago with only NO lighting and they thrived. For those that don't believe, just google for "Tyson Lee" and "Reefkeeping Adventures Minus the Sump".

Check your water quality and post back your parms. We may be able to help you out.

Regards,

Severum

AZDesertRat
09/29/2005, 08:22 PM
Softies will thrive with NO lighting. I had 4x15w over a 20H for about 10 years and things grew like crazy. I even had a sebae anemone in there, which I would not recommend, and its now almost 14 years old but in a new home.
Water quality is your main issue. Corals for the most part do not like nitrates or other pollutants. You don't mention anything about your other equipment like a skimmer, filtration and water movement, substrate, temperatures, water quality parameters...............