PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on additives

09/28/2005, 09:24 AM
I'm wanting to start using additives for my ca and alk. Here's what I've decided on using based on some light research.

Seachems Reef Advantage Calcium and Kalkwasser and ReefBuilder.

Are those decent products to control my parms? I know I can use baking soda to adjust my ph upwards if needed so is the ReefBuilder overkill?

I am currently using Kent's Liquid Reactor and it raises the ca AND the alk which is NOT what i like.

MCary
09/28/2005, 09:30 AM
I have read that single additive calcium has long term negative effects. (2 years) I use b-ionic and kalk drip until I get a reactor.

Konadog
09/28/2005, 09:32 AM
I have never used Sea Chem's stuff so I can't comment on it.

I would think if you are using Baking Soda, that ReefBuilder would be overkill.

Have you seen Randy's 2 part additive recipe?

A Homemade Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Additive System (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/chem.htm)

09/28/2005, 12:17 PM
yea. Those are good recipes. unfortunately, here where I live, I can't get any of the products. That includes pickling lime, calcium chloride etc.

I was thinking that using the ReefBuilder, I would be better off cause it has mg, sr, and some other trace elements.

what is b-ionic? Is that one of those two part things?

I'm really wanting to use seperate additives to have better control over my parameters. With that said, is SeaChem's Reef Fundamentals a bad idea?

One last one: What's better...liquid calcium supplements or powders/crystals?

grimmjohn
09/28/2005, 01:02 PM
Any Wal-Mart will have picking lime..expecially right now (canning season) () : )
It called "Mrs. Wages"...it's usually around the tupperware or something, next to all the boxes of empty jars () : )
I use that for top offs....and seachem reef builder and turbo calcium whenever Ca or Alk need a little bump.
I control my pH with the kalk..which also keeps my Ca and Alk in check most of the time...the turbo Ca doesn;'t affect pH, so I can add as much of that as I need to...the reef builder does affect pH, but you can usually get your Alk where you need it without going over 8.3...(it says it won't go ever 8.3, but I've never put it to the test)

B-ionic is 2-part..can get expensive...though maybe not w/ a 37g.
many people consider "trace" elements unneeded...just do a water change.

I prefer crystals...otherwise you're paying for water...you should dissolve them in you TO water anyway so it's kinda moot.

cheers,

grimmjohn

09/28/2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks grimmjohn. I'll look at one of my walmarts here for that...I went to Food Lion (grocery store) last night and they didn't have it...My grandmother used to use 'balls' (heh heh) years ago when she used to do canning. I can't imagine why a store in the SOUTH wouldn't have it :?

I need to goto walmart anyways so it works out fine. ;)

grimmjohn
09/28/2005, 02:43 PM
No problem...two or three teaspoons into a gallon of water...use that as your top off...or just constantly drip it into your tank (thats what I do).
It will raise your pH a lot..thats why I use reef builder and turbo cal...they both get Ca and Alk to where they need to be rather easily without affecting pH...and then dripping the Kalk/limewater keeps the ca/alk/pH in the right ranges for the most part.

Cheers,

grimmjohn

PS. handy calculator by a RC memeber
http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Paintbug
09/28/2005, 03:02 PM
i used to add calc and alk buffers by SeaChem. i have switched to B-Ionic myself and it made a world of difference. it is a 2-part. but its easy to use. it can be expensive as well. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EV1113 i bought the 64 oz. and it lasted me about 2 months in my 75gal. well worth it for me. i have coralline growing all over the rocks and glass now, corals open up more. awesome stuff. i may however try to mix my (randy's recipe) own soon.

MCary
09/28/2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah thanks, I'll check WallyWorld too. I was about to order some via internet.

Konadog
09/28/2005, 03:44 PM
You may be able to find the calcium in the pool supply section or sometimes where they keep snow melting chemicals/equipment.

09/28/2005, 04:07 PM
ya know? it's kinda sad...the ONLY thing that's universal in this country is walmart LOL