PDA

View Full Version : Glass Drilling??

brandxman
03/01/2002, 11:59 AM
What kind of shop am I looking for to get my tank drilled?? neither one of the LFS I go to offer this service. I was thinking of going to a Stain Glass shop but I wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions.

I'd like to put a hole in the bottom sheet of glass so that I can install a Durso style overflow and stand pipe.

thanks for the help.
--B

reefmike
03/01/2002, 02:32 PM
I had my tank drilled at a glass and mirror company. The price was $45 for two 1 1/2 inch holes. The only thing is that if you are drilling the bottom, it can't be tempered, which most tanks are.

-- Mike

Physh1
03/01/2002, 05:59 PM
I agree. Most tanks have tempered glass bottoms and cannot be drilled. Most stores won't drill it because they don't have that type of drill bits lying around. Most places also do not guarantee they can do it w/o it cracking. Not real giving like plexi...

Cameron

Ddawson2211
03/01/2002, 06:45 PM
I drilled my own holes for 3/4" inflows (1 3/4" hole) and a 2" (3 1/2" hole) standpipe. I was very nervous about the prospect, but it was a piece of cake. I bought my bits from Gary at Advantage. Their website is Advantage-drillbits.com. He is a reefer and extremely helpful. You'll need a handdrill and a $30 drill stand from home depo. As mentioned in other replies, be absolutely sure the bottom is not tempered glass.

billsreef
03/01/2002, 09:57 PM
Some glass shops will do it. You just have to pull out the yellow pages and call around. Most usually charge between $10 and $20 per hole. First, though, you want to check out if the bottom glass is tempered or not.

brandxman
03/01/2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all of the info. The bottom is not labeled if it is tempered or not and I've already peeled of all othe the other labels that might have told me. I was thinknig of playing it safe and putting the holes in the back sheet, sure its not a straight down drop but I dont think the extra 2 elbows in the pluming will be a problem.

Now as soon as I see my pay check its off to the Stain glass shop for a little drilling. I'm pretty handy with tools but in this case I think I better leave it to the pros.

thanks again
--B