PDA

View Full Version : Another Live Rock Question

goldfin
03/01/2002, 11:23 AM
I've got a 50 gal. tank that has about 40 lbs. of live rock in it and cycled a few months ago. I have only 40 watts of light over it right now because I only have one brit star, about a half dozen blue leg crabs and 5 snails in the tank to consume algae and I want to avoid an algae bloom. I have a 440 watt VHO setup ready and waiting.

I'll be adding 30 lbs of Marshall. I'm buying the Marshall uncured and curing it in a separate 20 gal. tank. Once the new rock has cured, I was planning to place all the old rock in buckets and start from scratch with aquascaping both old and new rock. I've read that I should wait 2 months before adding fish to rock that was uncured at first. I've also read that after the initial curing period, live rock should have 3 to 5 watts of light per gallon.

So this is my problem. If it's true that my rock should have 3 to 5 watts per gallon over it, should I go out and buy more algae consuming critters now and put the 440 watts over the tank now? If I do that should I wait two months to add the new rock to the tank, or will the new rock need the light sooner? And if I add the new rock at 2 months or sooner, will the algae consuming critters be OK?

Physh1
03/01/2002, 06:10 PM
Rock itself really doesn't require all that much light. It is the corals that are depending on it. Cycle the tank/rock in darkness or low light. No algae problems commonly associated with lighting on a cycling reef. heavy nutrients (cycling) = algae

I would honestly try to cure all the rock at 1 time to help keep it simple and less messy. It will also let you get the tank going at one time. No light, put all the rock in, move the critters (possibly back to your LFS, and let the tank cycle. It's much easier and you'll get you tank going faster.....

Put the lights on after the cycle completes and add critters when you feel comfortable. Wait at LEAST 1-2 weeks after the cycle concludes to add stuff. The tank may be cycled but not totally stable....

My .02, Cameron

goldfin
03/04/2002, 04:40 AM
Thanks.