PDA

View Full Version : Coral Banded / Peppermint shrimp coexist??

jcm1229
03/01/2002, 10:54 AM
Can Peppermint shrimp and coral banded shrimp coexist in the same tank??

chuck p
03/01/2002, 02:43 PM
I have 2 peppermint and a coral banded in my 58 and they all get along .I was also wondering if the coral banded and peppermint would get along with cleaner's.
Chuck

Python73
03/01/2002, 05:20 PM
Guys - first of all, a caveat for you on opinions - none of the advice you will get here or elsewhere will be hard, set in stone fact.

Many of the species combinations that are advised or not advised are from people who have tried them and had success and / or failure.

That having been said, the "party line" on the coral banded shrimp (CBS) is that they are agressive and territorial to other shrimp, whether CBS or another species. This does NOT mean that they will go nuts at the first sign of another shrimp, and relentlessly hunt them down immediately (although that's possible) just that eventually, the two shrimp will meet face to face through circumstance, and that the CBS is well equipped to make a meat snack of a less equipped shrimp. You might get away with having them in the same tank for a long time, and you might not.

One of my own experiences that goes against most advice you'll hear is with a coris wrasse (coris gaimard). Mine never bothered any of my shrimp or hermits, or any other invert for that matter. And this is a fish that 9 of 10 people will tell you are bad news to small inverts. My guess is that I just got lucky, and had a specimen that was happy eating other things.

Good luck with your shrimp.

S !

DukeDog
03/01/2002, 07:29 PM
My cbs has dined on 2 peppermints and a cleaner. I wont add another shrimp to my tank until shes gone but that's just my tank:D I've had her for 4 years now. Like python said its a crap shoot sometimes.
Jeff

Pepito
03/01/2002, 09:44 PM
DO a search on coral banded shrimp, just the other day(1 or 2 maybe) a guy here posted a picture of his mated CBS eating his new Peperment shrimp