PDA

View Full Version : do they get along?

bigfruits
03/01/2002, 09:50 AM
are there any trigger fish that arent aggresive that i could keep with clowns?

Barney
03/01/2002, 10:07 AM
I'm not positive, but I believe that the Niger Trigger is the least aggressive and I have heard of people keeping them in a reef tank with other fish.

jacksonpt
03/01/2002, 11:16 AM
DISCLIAMER: Triggerfish are aggressive fish, regarless of species

With that being said... I've heard of serveral people who have had success with nigers and pink-tails in reef settings. I had a niger in my reef for almost 2 years (got rid of him recently because I am tearing down my tank and starting over). Nigers do seem to be the least aggressive, so it might be worth a shot. It will totally depend on the personality and disposition of the particular trigger you get.

Good luck.

marineaddict
03/01/2002, 11:23 AM
I have kept a Niger Trigger, Maroon Clown and a Scopas Tang with no problems.

bigfruits
03/01/2002, 11:27 AM
thats great cause niger triggers are beautiful. thanks guys

Wolverine
03/01/2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jacksonpt
DISCLIAMER: Triggerfish are aggressive fish, regarless of species

Not true. The triggers in the Xanthichthys genus are not aggressive. In fact, you'll find that they get beaten up by most tang species, and numerous dwarf angels as well; a maroon clown will beat the hell out of them. These triggers are also the most reef safe; they can be kept with corals without trouble, and most shrimp as long as the shrimp is in the tank first. The downside is that they're harder to find. The most common is the bluejaw trigger (X. auromarginatus); I like these because they can often be found in mated pairs, and they're sexually dimorphic, so you get some good variety. The other common ones are the Crosshatch trigger (X. mento) and sargassum trigger (X. ringens). These you would have no problem keeping with clownfish.

Next up on the list of reef safe and least aggressive is the pink-tail (Melichthys vidua/I]). This one can usually be kept in reefs, and is usually not very aggressive. I've seen the kept with clownfish, but I'd make sure the clowns are in there first.

The niger trigger ([I]Odonus niger) is next up on the list. This can usually be kept in reefs, though occasionally there are individuals who are considerably more aggressive. These I would also make sure the clowns are there first, and I wouldn't do it if you have some of the weaker clown species, like the pink or orange skunks.

While all talk of how reef-safe they are when the question was about clowns? Well, the more reef-safe triggers also tend to be the least aggressive, and so can better be kept with peaceful reef fishes. The other triggers I wouldn't put in a reef or with clownfish.

Dave

marineaddict
03/01/2002, 01:58 PM
Hey Wolverine. Great post.

I must respectfully disagree with you on your comment that maroon clowns will beat the hell out of them.

In my case they got along great along with the tang I had with them. The Niger Trigger was the first fish in the tank followed by the tang and then the clown. Maybe it was the order in which they were added but I didn't have any problems.

I wish I had read you post before I switched to a reef from FOWLR. I most certainly would have kept the Trigger and given it a try.

Wolverine
03/01/2002, 02:15 PM
marineaddict, with the maroon clowns beating on them, I was just talking about triggers in the Xanthichthys genus, which are pretty wimpy, and most maroon clowns will beat on them.

As for your case, the niger is certainly strong enough to deal with maroons, and you said that niger was in there first, so that makes a huge difference. That's I also mentioned putting the clowns in before a niger or pinktail.

Dave

marineaddict
03/01/2002, 02:20 PM
Oh, Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I get for reading to fast!!

Fishguru
03/14/2002, 02:51 AM
I prefer my Sargassum Trigger as opposed to the common niger. Very Calm, even gets picked on by my clown tang now and then, hasnt seemed to affect my snail/crab numbers. Pink Tails are very calm as well. guru

Wolverine
03/14/2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Fishguru
I prefer my Sargassum Trigger as opposed to the common niger. Very Calm, even gets picked on by my clown tang now and then, hasnt seemed to affect my snail/crab numbers. Pink Tails are very calm as well. guru

The sargassum is nice, but they're a whole lot harder to find than nigers (read:more expensive). Some stores can't get them even if they do try to special order them. Also, these are two triggers that look very different, so part of a decision of which one to get would depend on which one has the look you like (or which fits better with the scheme of the rest of the tank).

Dave

Fishguru
03/14/2002, 06:23 PM
Well in my case cost wasnt much of a factor, as he was only $2 more than the niger, and I wanted something different that not everyone has. Was just giving another alternative to the Niger, and my experience with the sargassum. Guru

Wolverine
03/15/2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Fishguru
Well in my case cost wasnt much of a factor, as he was only $2 more than the niger, and I wanted something different that not everyone has. Was just giving another alternative to the Niger, and my experience with the sargassum. Guru

At that price I'd go with the sargassum too. When I've seen them they've been 3-4X the cost of the niger.

Dave