PDA

View Full Version : Blue Linckia

geekreef_05
09/26/2005, 02:39 PM
hey hey,

I was looking for some opinions/shared experience on this creature from owners. I just bought a very small one this weekend and was wondering about how much truth there was to all the rumours I hear about starfish and blue linckia's in general.

Specially from owners I was wondering:
- Do u target feed your linckia? If so, how often and what kinda foods?
- Is the Linckia reef safe?
- Is this a clumsy creature that tends to knock over rocks and coral?
- Should I be worried about my smaller fish and inverts when he gets older/larger/more aggressive? (do they get aggressive?)

All comments are appreciated! TIA,
happy reefin'

trueperc
09/26/2005, 02:56 PM
I own two large one for over two years now. I have to say its hard to good ones but I lucked out. I have them in a sps tank and no they are very gentle have yet to knock something over. And no I do no not target feed. Good luck.

gfk
09/26/2005, 02:57 PM
reef safe, yes, clumsy, not that i have heard.

i wouldnt worry about your other fish, id worry about him starving to death which is what they normally do. no offense but in the future id research it before doing so. they need a lot of live rock too so if its for your 10 gallon id maybe re think the whole thing...sorry

geekreef_05
09/26/2005, 03:13 PM
LOL. GFK, please be assured he is not in my 10 gallon. He is in my 60 gallon (which despite my sign, has been fully running for 8 months) with plenty of liverock. I do realize it is a little early to put a starfish in the 60 gallon, but hey, its a chance I was willing to take mostly because he is very small in size.

At his present size, Im not worried about him starving, but in a couple years, I figure I should spot feed him. Thus I came on here to ask a couple questions.

TRUEPREC thanks for the info...what size are your linckia's?

happy reefin'

swenard
09/26/2005, 03:15 PM
I don't target feed mine anything. But I have only had him about 3 months. So whoe knows, he could be starving to death.

As for knocking things over, he seems to be the most gentle of crawly creatures in my tank. I am even surprised how well he fits into the tiniest of spots.

reefin300
09/26/2005, 03:15 PM
Starfish in general eat a lot of the beneficial life (microfauna) found in your sand bed. And given some time will rid your sand from this beneficial life. Linkas get up to 12� big, I would consider trading him or keeping it with caution that it may starve.

rayjay
09/26/2005, 08:19 PM
Everything you wanted to know about linckia type star fish. (except for what they eat)
LINCKIA SEA STARS (http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/toonen.htm)

jrallison
09/26/2005, 08:27 PM
"Starfish in general eat a lot of the beneficial life (microfauna) found in your sand bed."

I would have to say with the exception of linka's. I have never seen my linka's on the sandbed other then traveling from rock to rock ... or rock to glass. From what I think, linkas eat algae matter ... but noone knows exactly what these creatures eat.

I've had a blue linka for 4 years ( and sold it as I broke down my 55g) which I bought when my tank was about 6 months old. Now I have an orange linka which I have had for a year in my 90. I've been lucky and never had a bad one ... or one die on me.

I tried to spot feed my blue one in the beginning by placing it on top of a shrimp. I did this multiple times, and everytime it would just move off of the shrimp. This makes me think they (linkas) are not meat eaters.

reef-safe, not clumsy, and definately wont bother any of your fish or inverts.