PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my tank

shawn637
09/26/2005, 10:04 AM
I was at work not too long ago and a client had a reef tank set up in his house and it was amazing how well it was doing. He offered me the tank for a small price because he was going to be departing to Florida in the next week. I did not take his tank, however, his light system seemed to work out for me.
His tank consisted of:
-55gallons
-At least 50-60lbs of live rock with
mass amounts of coralline algae
(really bright pink and purple.)
-two powerheads at the top left side of
the aquarium pushing water from left
to right.
-on the same side, an aquaclear 300
hanging on the backside of the tank.
-on the oposite side, a seaclone100 protein
skimmer.
-and around 50lbs of live sand.
-Live stock: Few cleaner shrimp, many
turbo snails, and tons of anenomes and
other invertebres.

Naturally I know much less then this guy about how a reef tank works. This is where I need help. I tried replicating this tank to a T, hoping that it would work out. My tank consists of:
-55 gallons
-Only around 25lbs of live rock, with
coralline algae only on the rock in which
I managed to keep from the guys tank.
-one strong rotating powerhead at the top
left side of the aquarium pushing water
from left to right, while rotating.
-on the same side, instead of an aquaclear
300, I have an Emperor 280. Hanging on
the backside of the tank.
-on the opposite side, a protein skimmer
similar to the seaclone 100.
-instead of live sand, I have around 30 lbs
of Florida crushed coral.
-live stock: yellow tang, luna wrasse, and 3
random damsels. Also 3 turbo snails, and
quite a few anenomes from the o.g. tank.

Now the problem is, there is way too much green and yellow algae on the glass. After a waterchange and cleaning, this algae can consume the tanks glass within 3 days. Also there seems to be no spreading of the coralline algae throughout the tanks except around the brim of the powerhead, and a little on the filter intakes. I am sure it could have something to do with the lights, however, keep in mind that I have the same system as the original tank that was doing well, with the same exact timers.
The lights consist of:
-(2) metal 125 vac 60 watt on the left.
-(2) flourescent moon lights in the middle.
-(2) metal 125 vac 60 watt on the right.
-each are set on their own timer.

As for additives to the tank, I have just started using Seachem's reef builder and reef complete together, twice a week but on different back to back days. Other than that, I keep feeding to a minimum. The ph is at a steady 8.4 and s.g. at 1.022. The calcium levels i am not sure of yet. I know there are other aspects to be aware of, and that is what i am asking as well.

For my tank to become a healthy reef environment, what are the steps I need to do, and the things I need to change?

Thanks for any help!

thrlride
09/26/2005, 10:20 AM
[welcome]

Shawn, welcome to RC!

I'm not sure where to start...

The glass will build some green algae every few days, some tanks worse than others.

Have you done any water tests? I'd be interested to see what you find. I'm mainly interested in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Also, what type of water are you using for water changes and top off? RO/DI or plain RO is best to use. Using clean water takes more variables at where your algae could be coming from.

How long has the tank been up? Coralline can take a long time to spread. My latest tank has been up for 9 months and my coralline isn't that great even though all the parms are right where they need to be.

Dubbin1
09/26/2005, 10:24 AM
Well you never mentioned how long your tank has been setup but you do not have near enough live rock or snails. Also cleaning the glass every 2 or 3 days is just one of the maintenance parts of owning a tank (we all have to do it). You should also bump the sg up to .024-.025. Do your weekly water changes and stop adding the chemicals that you are adding to it every day.

shawn637
09/26/2005, 10:38 AM
My tank, without the light system and that exact filtration has been setup for around 10 months. That is with live rock and fish only, and about 2 months with the new light system, powerhead, and skimmer.

Also, I was misunderstood about the chemicals. The reef builder and reef complete I only use twice a week, in which I read on the back directions as well as another reef informative. I do not use these everyday by any means.

But thanks for the tip of raising the s.g.- and using r.o.

thrlride
09/26/2005, 10:39 AM
I still wouldn't use the chemicals unless you are testing your water and deem it necessary to use them.

shawn637
09/26/2005, 10:43 AM
thanks for the advice.

I guess I will hold of the the complete and builder. But the ammonia levels and nitrite and nitrate are where they should be. What else should I test for?

obviously i am new to this, so there are many things i have no clue about.

thrlride
09/26/2005, 10:46 AM
There's not much else you need to test for until you get some corals going in there. Calcium and Alkalinity are important but moreso with corals. Both of those levels being where they should be will help coralline though.

mhurley
09/26/2005, 10:48 AM
What kind of lights are these:

-(2) metal 125 vac 60 watt on the left.
-(2) metal 125 vac 60 watt on the right.

Normal flourescents? Metal halides? What K rating are the bulbs?

kevensquint
09/26/2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by thrlride
I still wouldn't use the chemicals unless you are testing your water and deem it necessary to use them.
I second that, here's a basic list of some of the things that I use, btw, my tank is a mixt reef, doing well enough that I frag and sell corals. Ca test, Alk test, nitrate test, phosphate test, Mg test. Good digital PH meter, good digital salinity meter, reliable temp guage. Seaclone is known to be one of the most useless skimmers available, you might want to research to improve on that. At least a 10 gallon refugium with macro algae (mine's 10 gallons and works great, the bigger the better) I have 7 pwr heads in my 65, so I don't think 1 is enough. Don't forget the very important RO/DI unit I don't know what 125 vac 60watt light is?? but 60 watts seems feeble, I have 750 watts MH on my 65. Bring your S.G up to 1.026, PH is good, but I prefer 8.2-8.3. I think your in the ballpark, but before your cruising you will have to make some important improvments and research

shawn637
09/26/2005, 10:57 AM
I believe they are just normal flourescents and halides, that was just what was written on these little tags the guy had given me. Since i am not sure, i am thinking i should just go and purchase new bulbs - what would be the best for lights in a 55gallon tank like this?

shawn637
09/26/2005, 11:01 AM
what's the easiest way to go about setting up refugium tank? And should I keep a light on that 24/7 to rid some of the algae problem?

thrlride
09/26/2005, 11:02 AM
Can you post a pic of your lighting system?

For the fuge, does your tank have a sump? I'm assuming no since you have a HOB skimmer and HOB filter.

shawn637
09/26/2005, 11:05 AM
no, it doesn't have a sump.

as far as the lighting, I could possibly get a picture posted later today or tomorrow

Black Mammoth
09/26/2005, 11:33 AM
I'm a noobie as well, but I have to agree with the others. You also need more snails, crabs, etc. That will help a lot. You mentioned that your client has many more snails and inverts. It's amazing how much much they clean.

thrlride
09/26/2005, 11:38 AM
Crushed coral isn't the most popular substrate either. It has a tendancy to catch more food and allows it to decompose and release more nutrients in the water, fueling more algal growth.

kevensquint
09/26/2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by shawn637
what's the easiest way to go about setting up refugium tank? And should I keep a light on that 24/7 to rid some of the algae problem? Also; I should just go and purchase new bulbs
If reefing were only that simple. I think your looking at all of your problems as quick fixes. Its not as easy as that, just hooking on a refugium does'nt automatically get rid of the algae in the display tank. You can't just go out and get whatever bulbs, you need to know what kind of lighting set-up you have in the first place. Sorry to break it to you man, but for the well being of the creatures you will buy and so you don't throw you money down the toilet, Read,Research and Ask. But don't do anything until you have first done this. Not trying to be mean, it just seems that your enthusiasm goes far beyond your reefing knowledge.