PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Lo

loweryster
09/25/2005, 11:24 AM
I bought one of these about a week ago because I told my LFS I'm having a bit of an algae problem. I told him isn't this fish a bit big from my tank he insisted it would be fine considering I only have 2 chromis (lost 4 fish from Katrina). He's a very nice looking fish when I get to see him, he spends all day hiding behind the rock work and from what I can tell he's not eating. Is fish going to be hiding all the time or does it need more time to get used to my tank.

waldomas
09/25/2005, 11:33 AM
Ive had a foxface for about a year. It will eventually come out and swim in the open. He is probably eating algae when you dont see him. Be very careful...mine has a taste for open brains and elegance corals!! Found out the hard way. Really a beutiful fish. Enjoy!!:)

loweryster
09/25/2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks, how long do you think it took yours to come out?

loweryster
09/25/2005, 11:50 AM
This is how he spends most of the day
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/loweryster/DSC01247.jpg

waldomas
09/25/2005, 12:08 PM
A couple of days. This is a good indicator fish. It will turn darker when it senses something is wrong...ie: water parameters, etc. Be sure to check those out if he has been in there for more than 3 or 4 days and he still seems spooked. Also, may be the size of youre tank. Mine loves to swim. I had him in a corner 92 and moved him to a 180 after 6 months. He likes it much better in there.

loweryster
09/25/2005, 02:54 PM
He was scared only because I was trying to take his picture. He has good color and his fine is always down.

loweryster
09/25/2005, 03:22 PM
I'm starting to think he might be sick

waldomas
09/25/2005, 06:58 PM
Still hasnt eaten? Try some spiruina flakes. I like to soak mine in selcon or zoe. If he has been moved alot recently, he may take awhile to come around. Also, check for brown spot on his sides. Not sure what it was but the pellets that boost imune system seemed to cure the problem.

romanr
09/25/2005, 07:11 PM
If you have algae growing in your tank he should have a good food source. I don't think you have to entice him to eat other food. Just keep an eye on him and see if you catch him grazing on some algae. Mine was out and working within a day and has earned his keep as an amazing algae grazer. They do get pretty big and need some room to swim comfortably so look to move him out in a year or so as they grow quickly if there is a good supply of algae.

wrott
09/25/2005, 07:11 PM
Sea Veggies on a clip may make him feel better.

loweryster
09/25/2005, 09:45 PM
thanks everyone for your help, I just going to keep my eyes on him and hope he comes around. I don't know what the spot is on his side but I did a little research and found this same spot in other pictures online.
He just stays in the same spot not moving, if I try to move him his fins go up and he'll swim out.

jedimike
09/25/2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like something is wrong. My foxface was shy for about a day and started eating algae within an hour of introducing him to the tank. He also likes the seaweed clip and even goes after flakes.

Are the chromis pestering him? It looks like yours is less than 2", it could be that he's feeling intimidated.

loweryster
09/25/2005, 09:54 PM
nothings bothering him, he's about 3". I don't think he's going to make it.

Psyire
09/25/2005, 10:29 PM
Definately get some seaweed on a clip for him if you don't have any.

areze
09/25/2005, 11:14 PM
mines pretty new; about a week in the tank; when i walk in the room he runs and hides. he loses his color ect. given 10min or so he will eventually poke his head out. he's getting better about it every day.

I wouldnt suggest poking a fish because he's hiding... he has some good reason to be doing what he's doing; even if he is sick; poking him wont help him.

not to mention those barbs on his back are poisonous.

if you dont see any ich; and he isnt doing the back stroke. Id just keep on keeping on.

salty65gal
09/26/2005, 12:28 AM
Here's mine. He hides when you walk into the room but comes right out after a minute. Good luck with yours!!!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/salty65gal/4-12-05%20sw/000_0084.jpg

loweryster
09/26/2005, 07:17 AM
when I checked on him this morning he was at the very bottom and breathing very fast.