PDA

View Full Version : Help on moving tank

JBIT
02/28/2002, 02:25 PM
I just bought an established tank from someone 4-5 hours away. I don't know what all is involved in moving the livestock and equipment and setting it all back up when I get home. Most threads deal with setting up a new tank, not transplanting one. The livestock consists of some soft corals, a clown, an anemone, and some clams. Please help!! Here are some pics before the clams went in:
http://jbbjws.tripod.com/

How do I get this stuff from there to here in good shape?

Hef
02/28/2002, 02:31 PM
You dont say how big the tank is.
I just moved a 75 gallon full setup 2 weeks ago. I can give you a lot of details and tips.
First off, how big is it.
Go to Home Depot or wherever and buy the 54 quart or whatever tupperware or rubbermaid or the cheap brand containers with covers. The cheap ones dont have good locking covers, I paid $5.00 a piece and splashed some water around my van.
Here is a big tip. A good quality Cooler like Igloo, will hold all of the fish smimming freely in the cooler along with a lot of the more fragile coral and clams. I left his house with the water at 78 deg, and 4 hours later the water was still 75-76, with no heater.
I was only 45 minutes away, it will take you longer.

Thats all for now. More later.

Hef

JBIT
02/28/2002, 03:35 PM
It is just a 20g, so that should make it a little easier. The cooler is a good idea, I have several that I can use, and that will prevent the water from sloshing out, in theory. I was thinking of maybe getting a 29 and transferring everything into it when I get home. Should I already have it filled with water or use the original water?

Hef
02/28/2002, 09:44 PM
A 20 gal. should be easy. Two coolers should do it. You dont need all of the water but I would try to use as much as possible. Just make sure you have enough made up at home to replace what you dont use.