PDA

View Full Version : Razor caulerpa...

gflat65
09/23/2005, 08:01 PM
Okay, I think I am seeing the drawback to cheap rock. This razor caulerpa is starting to take over in small areas. So far, I think it is contained to three of the highest rocks. How can I kill this stuff without constantly pulling it out by hand or pulling the rock and putting it in with the diadema? Anyone got a tiny non-destructive reef safe urchin I can borrow... The diadema wipes the stuff out, but there is no way it could go in the reef. If I could find a tiny diadema, it could go in there for a few months, then move in with the big guy. My tang doesn't seem too interested. Any ideas?

cee
09/23/2005, 08:43 PM
Sea hares don't work,IME, even though some claim they do. How about Mespilia sp. urchins (tuxedo)? Don't know if they'd work or not, but they stay fairly small and are reef-safe. Some tangs will eat it (my Purple did), but others won't touch it.

Dave

gflat65
09/24/2005, 08:06 AM
I'll check into the tuxedo. My purple seems unimpressed, though it seemed to show more interest when I was pulling the last bit out of the tank. Maybe it is an undiscovered treat. That would be nice. I now have this stuff in every tank except the one with the diadema. In the other tanks (less light) it grows thicker, so it is easier to pull out. In the 125, it grows pretty dense... Vicious stuff.