PDA

View Full Version : Overflow Burping Bubbles

tibbs2
09/23/2005, 03:49 PM
My water pump went bad and I replaced it with one that has increased my gph by quite a bit. Now when the water exits the 3/4 pvp pipe into the sump i get periodic "burps" of pockets of air and is making alot more noise. I have a durso and there is no slurping sound coming from it. Most of the sounds seem to come from the air bubbles exiting the pipe and surfacing to the top of the water.

Would it help if I put a slanted or L shaped pipe on the end and have the water come out horizontally instead of vertically?

My wife's brother will be staying with me in a week and I don't think he will be able to sleep on the couch by the tank with the sound of the ocean surf right next to him. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

wglenn
09/23/2005, 03:58 PM
Sounds like you need one of these... http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ I made one for my oveflow about a week ago for about $5. Incredible how much quiter it is, I can actually sleep now ;)

Ooops just re-read you already have one.... sorry having to read fast here at work

Mike O'Brien
09/23/2005, 04:19 PM
A 90 degree elbow half way submerged at the water line stops the noise quite a bit.