PDA

View Full Version : Tank Setup Question W/ Diagram

god_of_wolves
02/28/2002, 11:01 AM
I already have a 35 gallon tank setup and running...

I wand to add a Sump/Refugium. Can anyone see if I missed something, or have a serious flaw with my thinking?

Here are my plans.

Let me know if i'm way off, but this is very simple and should work??? (or so I think)

Any other suggstions would also be appreciated...

ErikS
02/28/2002, 11:08 AM
The only change I'd make is to move the skimmer to the other side (more time for the bubbles to dissipate).

wickerj
02/28/2002, 11:23 AM
Looks good just move the skimmer to the other end before the Refugium.
Jeff

god_of_wolves
02/28/2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your replies.. I will design it with the skimmer on the other side. Thanks for your ideas.

One more question while I have your attention...

I only plan on using 1/2" (maybe 3/4") PVC for my water lines. (This isn't a real big setup...)

Will a Maxi Jet 1200 be enough?

It will only have to go up about 2 feet.

god_of_wolves
02/28/2002, 07:41 PM
^

god_of_wolves
03/01/2002, 02:03 AM
^

Q-ball
03/01/2002, 08:30 AM
Hiya....yeah, I think the MJ1200 will be enough, as the main point for your fuge/sump (as I see it anyhow:)) is as a fuge, you don't want real fast flow through it anyhow. I've never used a MJ1200 to pump water other than in a tank, so I'm not sure how much flow you can expect. HTH

Q!!!

Skipper
03/01/2002, 01:55 PM
I would advise to be careful with your homemade overflow. This is the one piece that seems to cause the biggest trouble for folks...even with factory made ones. Check out the design of the Lifereef ones. They are reputed to have the least problems.

http://www.lifereef.com

god_of_wolves
03/01/2002, 03:02 PM
Skipper, thanks for your input.

Actually mine is a copy of the Lifereef overflow.
I have the measurements down the the Millimeter.

It should look and work exactly like a Lifereef overflow.

I just can't see spending the money to buy one when there are so easy to make...

Thanks again everyone...
Scott.

cacplkings
03/01/2002, 09:43 PM
Scott,

Depending on what you keeping in the tank, the MJ-1200 may not be enough push for the 2 feet. A Mag 5 would give you plenty though.

Chris

john rochon
03/01/2002, 09:58 PM
I also see 2 things. I am also setting up a refugium and have checked out tons of threads and DIY.
the gravity line should be at least 11/2 " or at least 2x1" outputs.
If some stuff gets caught in there the bigger opening the better!
why is the gravity outflow from your tank plumbed at the bottom of your refugium? put it in the top, there will be no back pressure
to slow the flow. The maxijet 1200 is what I will also use. for 3 feet and 3/4" return. The home made overflow, forget it! I would not sleep at night even with LIFEREEF model! 1 poweroutage could spell disaster. Can you gravity feed the refugium into the tank instead? anyways, good luck dude. These non drilled tanks suck! I bought mine as a rookie 65g. and regret the nondrilled!
my 220g starphire will make up for the pain.