PDA

View Full Version : maroon clown and true percula

shoedogg
09/30/2000, 02:04 PM
just a simple question for everyone. does anyone have a true percula and a maroon clown in the same tank? if so , how do they get along, my LFS said they do not pair together well, i guess we'll find out because i just got the maroon clown, any replies would be helpful
thanks you

Reef Engineer
09/30/2000, 02:50 PM
Well, your LFS gave you some sound advice. Maroons and other clownfish generally do not get along together well at all. Maroons seem intolerant of even their own kind at times.

I currently have a 300 gal reef tank that house a pair of Amphiprion ocellaris (false perculas) in addition to a Premnas biaculeatus (maroon). They were originally in separate tanks but a tank emergency forced me to put the maroon in the 300 gal tank where the pair resided. The maroon has proceeded to kick the pair out of two surrogate hosts and is now attempting to do it a third time. The pair, however, have begun to defend their current territory but it's an uneasy relationship at best. Although your question was regarding true perculas and not false perculas, their interaction and behaviours are quite similar.

I will more than likely pull the maroon at some point in order for the ocellaris to be more at ease and I'll have to do that before the maroon becomes too large and the others don't stand a chance.

Best of luck to you,

Randy

P.S. Note: It is probably better to ask for possible compatibility problems prior to the acquisition of new specimens rather than after. It sure will make things easier on you & the fish if the answer is not what you expected! :D

Babylon5Guy
09/30/2000, 03:48 PM
I think the Maroon Clown is the most aggressive of all clowns, they're like damsels. As they get bigger they bother everything, very territorial. I've seen them in with triggers and it was the triggers that did the running.

Biosystems
09/30/2000, 05:04 PM
Babylon5guy:

Welcome to RC!!

I'd have to agree with what is said above-you are asking for trouble-the Maroon clown can be a real female dog on her worst day! They don't back down and in fact they start more crap-the worst is they are definitely willing to finish it. Don't get me wrong I love maroons-have several, but not with other clowns they are not paired with.

True percs (not ocellaris) can also have the same temperment-especially with maroons. You are asking for a standoff-my bet is on the maroon.

Tim

jimhobbs
10/01/2000, 07:08 AM
[welcome]

MtnDewMan
10/01/2000, 11:24 AM
I have a pair of false percs. They have pretty much had the tank to themselves for about 6 years. It is theirs and they let others know it. It is tough to get anything in the tank with them and have them survive terratorial beatings. So if kept for a while in the same tank by themselves, they will definately stake out that whole tank as their terratory. Mind you I only have a 30 gallon tank, so maybe a bigger tank would be different.

shoedogg
10/01/2000, 12:01 PM
well here's the story, i have a 55 gal tank set up, i have a tomato clown and a saddleback clown that have been in teh tank for about two months now, i got the true perculas last thursday, and got the maroon clown yesterday(saturday) , as far as i can see, so far the perculas and the maroon are getting along just fine, the only problem is the saddleback, he thinks that he owns the tank, he wont let either the perculas or the maroon near his rocks , so i have a feeling that i'll be taking back both the perculas and the maroon today , since the saddleback is the king of the tank
thanks for everyone's replies

docmal
10/01/2000, 01:16 PM
you really shouldnt have more than one type of clown in anything less than 90 gallon. I had a false perc and then introduced the maroon... The false perc just hid for a week untill I traded him in.