PDA

View Full Version : DSB addition ok?

MasonTT
02/27/2002, 06:37 PM
I am planning on moving soon and figured it would be a good time to add a DSB to my 42 hex reef tank. Currently, I have no substrate with 45# LR and I was planning on adding about 4" of Pure Caribbean Aragonite. I figure this would be easier since I will have to empty the tank to move.

1) Will this work?
2) Will it cause a cycle that my inhabitants may not survive?
3) Is my choice of substrate ok?
4) Any advise on the procedures to re-setup my tank with the Aragonite?

The tank has been established for only about 3 months and my params have been good: nitrates < 10 ; ammonia = 0 ; nitrites = 0.
Inhabitants: Banggai, 6-line, cleaner shrimp, serpent star, snails, hermits, GSP, yellow polyps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ozzy
02/28/2002, 01:36 AM
1) Will this work?
yes2) Will it cause a cycle that my inhabitants may not survive? no3) Is my choice of substrate ok? it's just fine,my self I used a silica based sandblasting sand,I picked up 160 pounds for $8.50,any type of sand will work as long as ya have the right grain size-sugar fine :D ) Any advise on the procedures to re-setup my tank with the Aragonite? not a hard thing to do from the point you will be at,I would add some rock first before the sand to help hold the LR in place cause of digging fish,it would give your rock more of a solid ground if ya know what I mean......
you also will need to seed the new DSB with some live sand or ya can order a detritivore kitserpent star,
to my understanding stars are not good for a DSB-I could be wrong but I think stars will eat the critters ya need in a good DSB,maybe some one will step up to the plate and help us out on this one ........
HTH-ozzy

MasonTT
02/28/2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy
to my understanding stars are not good for a DSB-I could be wrong but I think stars will eat the critters ya need in a good DSB,maybe some one will step up to the plate and help us out on this one ........
HTH-ozzy

Thanks for the advice. Most of it backs up what I have come up with through research.

But, I was actually more worried about the six-line wrasse being a problem in starting a live sand bed. To my understanding, serpent stars clean detritus and left over food from the bottom and should be ok with DSB.

Any comments?

Ozzy
02/28/2002, 04:09 PM
I really could'nt tell ya ,wish I could.....ya might want to give this a look (http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm) and maybe post a thread in Doc Rons forum,he does belong to this board
ozzy