PDA

View Full Version : making dead DSB live only with detrivores

mtkoskin
02/27/2002, 11:12 AM
Deep sand beds are not common to have here in Finland. I would very much like to try one, and have already acquired about 160 lbs of fine sand (grain size from 0.1-0.6mm) for my 460 liter tank. However, I've never seen live sand beds in our local fish stores and suspect that it will be impossible to buy live sand (or get it from other reefers as its is uncommon to have here). I'm not sure, but it may be possible to order detrivore kits from somewhere in Europe (or overseas if they're willing to ship).
I have two questions:
-Is it possible to start a live sand bed only with such kits? I've seen meany threads recommending to get live sand to burst the diversity. Appropriate bacteria shouldn't be a problem to get, given that our LFS's sell live rock.
-I guess it would be best to have a wide range of different species in the lsb, but which organisms should I try to avoid and why?
Many thanks for any help.

-Mikko

wave_happy
02/27/2002, 11:39 AM
Deep Sand Beds (DSBs), You may want to post your question on Dr. Ron's Forum. He is "The Expert". Adding live sand and a detrivore kit is a must according to many. In one case, not very scientific, I established a DSB with only live rock. The fish/predator load was non-existent. I have found that when adding sand or even swapping macro algae with other hobbyists, that the diversity of the tanks worms, pods and other critters, increases.