PDA

View Full Version : Feeling ill from halide exposure?

awcurl
09/15/2005, 11:54 AM
After working in my aquarium for about an hour straight with most of the time in the canopy next to the lights, I began having a dizzy spinning sensation that progressed into sever nausea and head aches. I only felt better after lying down with my eyes closed. This lasted for several hours and even the next day I still had the head aches.

I never linked this to the lights causing this until today while reading on CNN about halide overexposure. The article didn’t specifically address my symptoms, but it made me question the possibility of my lighting causing me to feel ill.

Has anyone ever felt these systems while working near their halides?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/14/bulb.burns.ap/index.html :(

EvilMel
09/15/2005, 01:21 PM
So I have often felt dizzy when I am up on my chair working in my fish tank, but I always attributed it to my inner ear problems. I mean I have lots of allergies, which can really screw with your inner ear, and I get dizzy other times, so I don't know if it has anything to do with my halides.

I've also never gotten burned by my halides like some of those people in the article and I get burned very easily by the sun.

fry-man
09/15/2005, 02:53 PM
You should have sunburn from the lights if they were leaking UV radiation or even exposed to their normal light for to long.

cee
09/15/2005, 04:20 PM
SE or DE? DE produce large amounts of UV without the shields. If you got a lot of UV exposure from a SE bulb, there may be a problem with the glass envelope around the bulb. Almost sounds like heat exhaustion w/o the dehydration, probably because heat exhaustion is partially from heat and partially from UV exposure outside.

Dave

awcurl
09/15/2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by fry-man
You should have sunburn from the lights if they were leaking UV radiation or even exposed to their normal light for to long.

That's what's so strange, I didn't receive any sun burn. The dizziness is something that I've experienced before when working around halides but not this bad.
Originally posted by commiphora
SE or DE? DE produce large amounts of UV without the shields. If you got a lot of UV exposure from a SE bulb, there may be a problem with the glass envelope around the bulb. Almost sounds like heat exhaustion w/o the dehydration, probably because heat exhaustion is partially from heat and partially from UV exposure outside.

Dave
The bulbs are SE. Today I inspected for cracks, but they all looked good.

cee
09/15/2005, 05:10 PM
Art:
You might want to get one of those UV exposure devices that kids wear to warn of sunburn and see how it reacts to your bulbs. UV exposure is the only thing I can think of that caused a reaction, unless something in the water was swallowed, inhaled, or exposed to an open sore.

Dave

fishdoc11
09/15/2005, 05:34 PM
Are you sure it wasn't something IN the aquarium.

just dave
09/24/2005, 01:01 AM
If that was a common thing,I'd be dead.