PDA

View Full Version : Carbon question

kbmdale
09/14/2005, 11:51 AM
I undrestnad the purpose of carbon in our aquariums, but I am out and I am cheap :lol: so I was trying to come up with a way not to have to go buy another box at the LFS.
I run carbon for a month then run a month without, thats been the way I have done it since I started and so far everything looks fine. I was told a way to see if your carbon is ready to come out is to take a white plastic cup and put some tank water in it. If the water has a brown or yellow tint in the cup then its time to change or take it out.

Is there a way to get the carbon to realease the chemicals its holding and reuse it. It just seems like you could biol it and clear it of impurities. Maybe I just don't understand how carbon does its job, does it bond with the compounds it takes from the water or just hold them?

NoSchwag
09/14/2005, 12:20 PM
I think carbon releases something into the water column, which is why a lot of people dont like it.

MCary
09/14/2005, 02:20 PM
One method of re-activating carbon is by pyrolysis. Pyrolysis is a form of incineration that chemically decomposes organic materials by heat in the absence of oxygen. Pyrolysis typically occurs under pressure and at operating temperatures above 430 °C (800 °F). Not something you do in your kitchen.

kbmdale
09/14/2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MCary
One method of re-activating carbon is by pyrolysis. Pyrolysis is a form of incineration that chemically decomposes organic materials by heat in the absence of oxygen. Pyrolysis typically occurs under pressure and at operating temperatures above 430 °C (800 °F). Not something you do in your kitchen.

NO but I have access to a huge boiler at work... I don't have enough saved up to try that yet, but if I save all the next bos I might give it a go.....Thanks

smleee
09/14/2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by kbmdale
I undrestnad the purpose of carbon in our aquariums, but I am out and I am cheap :lol: so I was trying to come up with a way not to have to go buy another box at the LFS.

My experience would say get your carbon at PetsMart or Petco, or some online site.......way cheaper than LFS in my exp.

eee

SuperNerd
09/17/2005, 06:59 PM
What does it leak into the water and in what proportions do people use it in so that it's "safe?"

andideris
09/17/2005, 09:19 PM
i think it leaks back everything that it has absorbed.