PDA

View Full Version : size of sump in relation to tank wet skimming

beachroadbum
09/13/2005, 02:06 AM
Hey Now all,

I have been rereading the starboard up and running thread and I just read that some say that a smaller sump or total less volume means skimmer(wet skim) will be more productive. This certainly makes sense.
I have a newly setup barebottom 38 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. My skimmer is located in the sump. I thought having more water volume would mean a safer environment (stability). But from what I am understanding I should take the 29 out and just have the skimmer and return pump in a 10 gallon sump and this way my skimmer (wetskim) will cover more ground because of the lesser water volume.
Now my question is...should I keep the 29sump because my tank is so small to begin with..so I have more water volume so more stability...or should i exchange it with a 10 gallon which means less volume but better production from skimmer?

my skimmer is a precision marine HOT-1 dialed in for wet skimming but is only rated for 50 gallons. Now my instincts are telling me go with 10 gallon for better production from skimmer since that is my main means of export...but I just wanted to cover it here in regard to my tank being such a small volume of water to begin with.

If any of that made the slightest sense what do you think?

take care,
Jared

beachroadbum
09/13/2005, 12:18 PM
any thoughts?