PDA

View Full Version : Help Help With My Anemone

KAZEKY
09/12/2005, 05:02 PM
HI, I HAVE A QUESTION, IS IT NORMAL FOR A ANEMONE TO NOT STAY AN A PLACE A RATHER THEN FLOATING ALL THE TIME I TOP OF THE AQUARIUM AND I AM WONDERING BECAUSE I HAVE AN OVER FLOW AND SHE MAY GET STOCK ON IT. WHAT CAN I DO FOR THAT??? THANK YOU!!!!! :confused: :confused:

traveller7
09/12/2005, 05:32 PM
Not normal for an anemone. Depending on species it should be attached to substrate: rock,buried in sand, in a tube,etc.

I suspect you'll need to put it in a net breeder or some other isolation(a colander works for some) until you provide more data on the tank, the type of specimen, etc. With all the information, we might be able to track down why the critter is so unhappy.

Good luck

fwiw: Reading all caps is tough, many folks will ignore such posts. You'll probably get more and better feedback using lower case.

KAZEKY
09/12/2005, 05:45 PM
sorry about caps.
my thank is a 55 gallons, 48" CORALIFE AQUALIGHT 4x65watt LUNAR LIGHT and it is LTA she is been on the tank since 8/6/05 what also do you need?

traveller7
09/12/2005, 05:55 PM
Most species that are sold as "LTAs" want to bury into sand, frequently moving its foot/column under a good sized rock.

Have you tried to dig a depression in the sand, partially cover it with a piece of live rock, and then cover the base/column back up?

Has it ever attached to glass, rock, tried to bury in the sand?
Does it seem to expand more when the lights are on or off?

How long has the tank be set up?
What is the Specific Gravity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrates, etc?
Have you checked the pH before lights are on, and right before they turn off?

Are there shrimp, cowries, limpets, Butterfly fish, etc. in the tank?

KAZEKY
09/12/2005, 06:12 PM
she is never been attach to a rock she is always moving but not to far i have the tank set up since april when i put my first fish, when i get the anemone a place it between the rocks but she moves and she is always open and she still open.
ph: 8.2
ammonia:0.00
gravity: 1.023
nitrite: 0.00
when i check the ph the lights are always on
i have 2 Ocealaris Clownfish, 2 Peppermint Shrimp 1 yellow tang, 1 Green Brittle Starfish

traveller7
09/12/2005, 08:07 PM
The specific gravity is a bit low, 1.025 would be better, but I would not change it too quickly at this point. Slow and steady change through evaporation and topping off with salt water is a better plan.

fwiw: the peppermint shrimp can be a real anemone irritant.
fwiw2: watch out for the green brittle star as it gets larger, they are efficient predators.

I would assume you need a fine sand depth of about 3", a depression, and a rock. If you don't have a deep sand bed, get a tupperware dish filled with sand like the one is this cruddy photo:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14159mini-Example_2_of_Old_Anemone_Sandbox.JPG

IME they will stay if you surround them with sand and place a few rocks and rubble around the surface. Not smashing them, but letting them get under the rock and firmly attach.

Has the anemone eaten meaty foods regularly?
Has it begun lose color?
Have the tentacles begun to shrink?

Odds are it is H. malu, M. doreensis, or even an upset H. crispa. The next few steps are Herculean if the above sand bed does not work.