PDA

View Full Version : got my new tank, starting from scratch with lots of questions.

dannieboiz
09/11/2005, 08:28 PM
Got the tank that I've been searching for 4 months. 48x24x20 acrylic black back un drilled no over flow boxes. This is my plans tell me what should be change and what not.

Without wanting to spend more money to selling/trading/buying more stuff I would like to use the following equipment from my 60g tank

AquaC EV 180/mag 9.5
Return- mag 12 + SCWD
Dual 175 Hamilton MH 10k Hamilton bulbs
single Helio 48" T5 actinic with reflector
2 Sieo 820
125lbs of LR
All of my live stocks will be transfer over.

A fellow member is giving me a 55g glass tank, 48" L
dividing it up with glass baffles. return in the middle, skimmer and fuge on each side. (this has been working extremely well in my 60 so I think I'm gonna stay with this layout.

Is it neccassary to have large skimmer chamber or should enough to fit the skimmer? I want to maximize the chamber for my fuge by reducing the chamber for the return just enough to fit my pump in there + just enough room to spare.

I'll be using about 60lbs of my LR from the current tank and adding an addition 60lbs. That shoud yield 2 inches of sand in the display tank.

In my fuge I will use 5 inches of sand for DSP.

As far as over flow, I'm debating on weather I should make dual over flow boxes or just a single on the side or just a single in the middle. I currently have a single in the middle of the 60g and I think it looks pretty proportion. Any pros and cons about this?

What size drain should I use?

As far as return, I will be having one 3/4" on each side of the tank.

If I did this I assume center over flow will give the best result wouldn't it?

2nd option is to do dual overflow boxes one on each side, (4x4) and a 36" spray bar in between firing towards the front of the tank without the SCWD.

Which method would you recommend?

One last thing, I know the 175w MH is probably not gonna cut it. I plan on adding 2 additional T5 or maybe 3, to ballance it out since I have the depth now. If 2 then I'm gonna add 1 more actinic and 1 10k daylight. But if 3 more I will have a total of 2 actinic and 2 daylights along with the dual 175w MH.

bertoni
09/12/2005, 05:32 PM
The skimmer chamber only needs enough room to hold the skimmer, but I'd leave room for possible upgrades. Same with the return pump, although that's less likely to be an issue.

I wouldn't bother with a DSB in a refugium. It's supposed to be fairly hard to move the detritus into the refugium.

I would use two overflows for redundancy, in case one gets plugged, but I am fairly conservative that way. I'm not all that good with plumbing, so I won't comment more.

The lighting plan you have will allow you to keep a lot of animals, although I think most people would consider 250W MH for that setup. Your stocking plans are important here.