PDA

View Full Version : Distance from ballast to bulb

JBIT
02/25/2002, 10:18 AM
How far away can I place my ballasts from my lights? I have a great spot for my MH ballasts but it is about 10 feet from my canopy, is this too far? Does light intensisty decrease the further away you place the ballasts?

GH Sniper
02/25/2002, 10:48 AM
the amount of power transferred to the light will be decreased somewhat but it is so small that it would really hurt it. I got a retro kit that had the chords about 6 feet long !!

With that being said, you may get a hit because as distance increases there is more resistance.;)

Try it out if you have the time and setup for the light testing...

PaulErik
02/25/2002, 06:58 PM
The maximum mounting distance depends on the lamp and ballast you are using. Here is a link to my web site http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/cambie/38/id33.htm Near the bottom of the page you’ll see the maximum mounting distance (lamp to ballast) for North American ballasts operating standard type MH lamps.

JBIT
02/25/2002, 11:11 PM
PaulErik: Thanks for the info, and you have a GREAT site. It should be added to the references at the top of this forum.

Triton_Z
02/25/2002, 11:13 PM
PaulErik,

Thanks for the excellent link. Just the kind of specific information i'd like to know for future projects.

Thanks.

DH