PDA

View Full Version : New green BTA trying to hide!!

rubysmomma1
09/10/2005, 03:08 PM
We bought a green BTA Thursday. He was fine when we got him home. He planted his foot on the rock we placed him on to begin with. The later it got into the night he was walking along the rock and ended up planting himself in a crevice between two rocks. I'm worried because he ended up underneath an overhang without much light. He looked fine Friday morning, but this morning he looked deflated and shrunken. Now he's looking better. I can see the bubble tips and he's opened back up a bit, but he's still in the shade. Should we just give him a couple days and let him get used to his new environment or should we attempt to move him?

Thanks.

fireman03
09/10/2005, 03:39 PM
imo anemones are a pita, i have a gbta for about a month. the lfs told me to put him where i do not want him for a joke. he ended up hiding at the bottom back corner under rocks for about 2wks with in that time i put a pwr head at his foot, but no go. so i left him alone and i think he realized that he wasn't going to be fed untill he came out and he crawled up the rocks and i fed him immediatley. now he's been in the same place for about 1wk and is fat and happy. they have a mind of their own. :) good luck!

michelle

Amand
09/10/2005, 07:19 PM
He is most likely getting acclimated to the tank. They will deflate and reinflate to change the water chemistry inside them and accimate to the tank. They will also do this to expell waste. Just keep a close eye on him for awhile but I wouldn't be overly worried just yet.

finding nemo
09/11/2005, 05:33 AM
Hi Ruby, you can find information on BTA's at my little red house.
They will hide for awhile till they find out they need food or light.
Don't move him, he will come out on his own.
Be sure to feed him meaty foods such as silversides or fresh raw shrimp.
Any pictures of your new addition?

god910
09/11/2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info. No pics yet nemo. He's hiding pretty well. I can only see him from the end of the tank and all I see then are the tips of his tenticles. :)

rubysmomma1
09/11/2005, 11:17 AM
I forgot to check and see who was logged in. :) nemo, We'll get a pic of him as soon as he comes out of hiding. He's looking much better today. I just hope he continues looking better and gets used to the tank soon, so I can see him without straining.

finding nemo
09/11/2005, 05:03 PM
Ruby, check my little red house for usefull info on BTA's
Hope he does well

rubysmomma1
09/12/2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks nemo! That's a lot of reading to do tonight. I have your page book marked though. I'll hopefully get to it sometime this week. I have two tests the end of the week so I'll be studying most of the time. Yeah! :) I did not realize that Jay (god910), took a pic of the BTA before it went into hiding. Here it is:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/rubysmomma1/GreenBTA.jpg

Thanks for all the info!!

finding nemo
09/12/2005, 04:28 AM
Morning Ruby, that little fella is bleached, he needs lots of food and light.
But since he has gone into hiding try to get some food to him, silversides are best, but you can use shrimp from the grocerie store, uncooked and nothing added.
Or try squirting some mysis shrimp on him in his hole. See if he will grab some.
If he dies in the hole your tank will be ruined so you need to make sure you can see him in case he does die.
But usually they will recover if fed.
Best of luck with him.
Let us know how he does ok.

god910
10/10/2005, 01:27 AM
I figured I'd give an update. He seems to be doing well, but we introduced a Diamond Sleeper Goby tonight, which decided to build his house right next to the GBTA, and ****ed it off. (Showered it w/ sand, :mad: ) So it shriveled up and walked away. BACK BEHIND A ROCK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Man, we're having the hardest time keeping it out in the open. But it's doing well. We've been feeding silversides and it grabs some shrimp that passes by. We found that we must feed the coral banded at the same time, or it will steal the BTA's silverside. (That's a funny struggle to watch, but the CBS wins every time.)