PDA

View Full Version : 20H FOWLR, MH and putting them together

lbussy
02/24/2002, 11:02 PM
I have a 20H to which I wish to add better lighting. Who knows, someday I might want to add corals (no idea what) but for now the immediate (one-2 month) plans are for about 20 lbs of Fiji LR. I want that purple stuff growing well and whatever other things I buy to be happy. pretty vague I know :P

I have a PFO retrofit MH system, 2X175W ballast with Mogul sockets and 2X175W Hamilton 10K bulbs sitting in the closet from a while back that have never been used.

I'm new to all this but I'm purty derned sure that both lamps is severe overkill for a 20H and will result in Hiroshima-style scorch marks in the shape of fish on the rocks. So.... I'm thinking using one MH over the tank. Here's where the question(s) comes in:

I have never done this so "It should work" and "try it" and "fiddle with it" are less help than a plan/place to start from. I know it's more art than science... but I can get artsy after I get a working model. :-)

My assumption is that one will be good (and not too much) and that I don't need actinic, correct?

I'm thinking MH is gonna boil water if it's too close. Another concern is light radiating into the room (you should have seen my wife's face when I turned them on). How can/should I mount this to minimize light in the room, minimize heat transferred to the water and minimize evaporation in such a small tank?

Yes, I know I'm asking for someone to make guesses and decisions for me. It's my first time and like I said all I need is a place to start. Any and all help will be appreciated.

PS... if anyone is in the KC, MO area and wants to volunteer a garage and a hand, I'll buy the beer. :-)

GH Sniper
02/25/2002, 11:32 AM
If you used both of them make sure you have Acro at the top !! ;)

Normally, most people around here would use a single directly over the top of the tank to grow acro, clams and softies (at the very bottom and partially covered). It would work just fine. The only thing you would battle would be heat in a tank that small. Make sure there are plenty of vents and ways for heat to escape.

Jon_Hewett_85
02/25/2002, 07:22 PM
dunno about the scorch mark idea ;) I run a 250 Iwasaki on my 20H. THe key is ventilation of the hood.

lbussy
02/25/2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Jon_Hewett_85
dunno about the scorch mark idea ;) I run a 250 Iwasaki on my 20H. THe key is ventilation of the hood. Yeah I'm thinking the scorch marks would be conversation starters but not much fun after that. :P

So ventilation..... how did you end up doing it? You are in a relatively high heat/humidity area.... what do you use for ventilation? How high off the water is your light? So you use a glass cover?

Sorry I'm so full of questions... I'm just tired of doing things twice. :-)

Any pics of your setup available?