PDA

View Full Version : Local needs help on system designs

Shouse94
09/09/2005, 08:25 PM
So i'm trying to get a good concrete plan for my upcoming aquarium.
The goal here is to have a 37g DT and a 20g real long frag tank tied into one system. The stand will be custom built to whatever specifications to meet the system design. I'm doing an external overflow cut out of the back of the DT. I will have a 30g sump as well.
I'd like to tie as much of these two systems togethor as possible to save on money. the DT will have approx 35lbs of LR and will want to do SPS in the future. Can this be done? Can anyone help me come up with a good design? thanks

SSweet1
09/13/2005, 09:00 AM
Amazing Aquariums in Daytona designs all kinds of setups. I would call and ask him phone is 386-788-1438. Carrie

rdmpe
09/13/2005, 09:32 AM
It seems to me that you should be able to run both tanks off one sump. You would just need two return pumps, one feeding each tank. I guess one pump would also work if you tee off it and then put a gate valve on each return line so that you can tweak the flow however you need to.

You will also need to make sure you have enough room in your sump for both tanks to drain into the sump a little bit when the power fails...

Sharing the sump would allow you to share heaters, skimmer, etc. Not sure what else you could do to tie them together...

JackiinFl
09/13/2005, 12:45 PM
I had a simular set up in the past.WHat I did was have the main tank stand taller than the frag tank. I used an over flow box to spill the water from the main tank to the frag tank the frag tank then had an over flow that dumped down into the sump. The sump had one pump to pump the water back to the main tank.This connected them together perfect and made no need for a secound pump. Of course you will need extra flow for the tanks but I used the seio 1100 that seemed to work perfect.
Hope this helps... Happy reefing.... Rachel

ONEMANBAND
09/13/2005, 01:00 PM
I had system like jackiinfl, it worked great. As long as all tanks into the system are gravity fed to one central sump you will be safe in event of power failures.