PDA

View Full Version : Tank Placement

STRATKAT
09/09/2005, 11:53 AM
Ok I am very new to this. I have not even set up my tank yet and already have a question about placement. I live in a very small home and basically have two good places to put tank but, they are both next to small windows and one is near a small window unit air conditioner. I have been reading a little about lighting and temperature my main question is does the tank need to be kept "completly" away from the windows and the window unit or if is ok as long as it is not directly under?

Spuds725
09/09/2005, 12:44 PM
It should not be exposed to direct sunlight as the water can heat pretty fast-- if you have a tight fitting window shade it should be fine.

I don't think being near the AC will be an issue either-- as long as you have sufficient heating in the tank (watts) and its a good quality heater that operates in nice tight range it should be fine.

I would be a little concerned having it near a window in the winter time if your window is drafty or if the wall is not very well insulated-- once again it comes down to heating-- the idea is not to have large temperature fluctuations.

navajo
09/09/2005, 01:01 PM
First off...

[welcome]

I would not worry too much about indirect sunlight. If it gets too much extra sunlight and the parameters are right, it will definately make any algae you have that much worse (the voice of experience! :D ) But like Spuds said, direct sunlight should be avoided.

I also would not put it too close to the ac unit as this will keep the heater on more which will run up the old electric bill.

Spuds725
09/09/2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by navajo

I also would not put it too close to the ac unit as this will keep the heater on more which will run up the old electric bill.

I never even considered the extra cost involved in that :o

STRATKAT
09/09/2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for such a quick response. I am looking at some alternative places because I do not want to take a chance and it being a small tank I am concerned that it may be even more vunerable to temperature changes if that makes any sense? I want my little friends a full healthy life!!!