PDA

View Full Version : Local LFS

ladybug_Montreal
09/09/2005, 07:29 AM
I am looking for some local lfs. The ones in Punta Gorda just don't quite seem a good fit for me. One stinks to high H---, and the other one on 41, is just too expensive for me. There is a new place that has his tanks cycling, but............I don't think he know much about the marine trade.......just looking at the $'s that can be had.

I know about seascape, and boardroom aquatics, but what about the rest. Any Good!

I am getting ready to set back up my 33g and sump.

Lights are 4x30w no another hood I have has cp lights a 4x9w and don't know what the wats are on the quad tubes, as this was given to me

Thanks

LadyBug

myakkareef
09/09/2005, 11:40 AM
Lady, some of the Venice folks shop at Puss-N-Pups and Venice Pets..Sarasota there is Coral Connections, SeaScape, FishBowl.
All stores have there pros and cons.. JMHO...
Oh and Welcome to the area and ACROS Forum....

ladybug_Montreal
09/09/2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the welcome

Any idea who has the best price on I/O salt. my lfs sell it for 19$ per 50g mix.....thats more than what I was paying in Montreal.

thanks

myakkareef
09/09/2005, 06:29 PM
Drs. Fosters Smith just had a great sale. Unfortionetly I believe it is over....I have always bought buckets online for alot cheaper then at the LFS..

Bugs825
09/09/2005, 10:36 PM
Welcome LadyBug

$19 is the average for local IO salt. Watch Dr. Foster Smith for their sales. They had 160 Gallon buckets for about $30 plus $8 shipping. As far as the LFS goes for marine I like Coral Connection on Clark Rd.

Far too many stores around here have the desire to get as much cash from you in one trip then have you be a repeat customer. The number of stupid rich people around here is too high and new customers far outweigh repeat customers at most LFS.

jmo
:D

Nathan

ladybug_Montreal
09/10/2005, 05:55 AM
Thank You

Looking at foster smith site I see Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix......have you tried this? Before I moved to Montreal I used Tropic Marine, however it was just too expensive in Montreal so I used I/O and have good results with it.

Dorothy

jerrymlr1
09/10/2005, 07:56 AM
Hi Dorothy

John @ Ichthythings has been selling Instant Ocean for years. He just started selling Tropic Marin lately so IMO it must be good. John has without question the all around best store around the Tampa area. He knows what he is doing and has prices that compete with the web prices. I used to buy IO salt for $11.00 per 50 gal bag. Unreal for LFS. If you get a chance to drive into the Oldsmar area you should stop in and check his store out.

Jerry

ladybug_Montreal
09/10/2005, 08:42 AM
Do any of the local shops carry Phytoplankton or is someone in the groups selling it?

i know I ask alot of questions, but.......I am getting ready to set up my 33 reef again.

Thanks

Dorothy

jerrymlr1
09/10/2005, 08:52 AM
I know the Fish Bowl carries DT's. You might want to call ahead to make sure they have some in stock. 954 3773. Ask away.:)

Jerry

ladybug_Montreal
09/10/2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks....yes it was DT's that I was using in Montreal. Does anyone have HD playsand? Better yet Bomix.

Thanks

Dorothy

Bugs825
09/10/2005, 07:53 PM
Here is a con for you!

I was at Seascape today. We printed some 10% off coupons for them and I figured that I would just peek to see if I could find anything nice.

I saw a large rock of Anthelia that was labled as xenia....FOR $89!!!

Then the owner came over and asked if I needed any help. I asked the price of a psyco manderin, he said $35. Then he asked if I had seen the REALLY nice rock of Xenia. I expressed my dbout in the label and he insisted that it was Xenia. I have Anthelia all over my tank. It grows like a weed and looks similar to Xenia but different in many ways. I feel that the OWNER should know what he is selling. Then again he might know exactly what he is selling. Kinda makes me wonder.

Xenia-http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/89759Xenia.jpg

Anthelia-http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/66527anthelia.JPG

After he left me he went to talk to a guy about a $4000 tank. This is my reason for the prior post. Repeat customers mean very little to some LFS in our area, except Coral Connections.

I have been at this for less than 3 years. The owner of Seascape is a self proclamed expert with decades of experiance and should know the differance. Unless hes just trying to rip us off!

:Stepping down from the soap box:

Nathan

ladybug_Montreal
09/11/2005, 07:05 AM
I am trying to figure out what happened to the "old way of cycling a tank". I was visiting a local lfs yesterday and was amazed at how they sold a 5g hex tank. With it they sold a bag of natures ocean sand, 1 4g bottle of mixed saltwater, a few prices of live rock, a royal gamma, blue leg hermit crabs, and a few other items. They told the buyer if they had any questions to call. I guess maybe I am to old to learn new tricks, but I just see the old tried and true method of cycling a new tank.

Now I am wondering if anyone has used African Sahara Sand from carib sea for there sand substrate bed. As the price of this sand is much lower than what the lfs sells for "marine" tanks.

thanks

Dorothy

coyoteseven
09/14/2005, 09:07 PM
You might want to try Pet Owners Warehouse just up the road in Port Charlotte. Rick (the owner) is a pretty great guy and has quite a bit of SW knowledge.

His livestock prices are reasonable and the stock is healthy. He just recently expanded and re-opened back in June after almost being wiped off the earth by Charley.

ladybug_Montreal
09/15/2005, 04:53 AM
I know Rick and Joan, lets not even go there. I will take my money elsewhere.

coyoteseven
09/15/2005, 09:02 PM
Okey dokey... ... ...

Sorry